Resurrection Plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Resurrection plants are these amazing little poikilohydry (plants able to dry to the cellular level) species that can survive without their root systems being in water or soil. They look like a dried out pine branch when dehydrated. I had one years back. I left it on top of my fridge for two years, and one day poured some water on it, and it open up and turned a little brighter green before my eyes. I know it sounds a little mean, but I conducted an experiment on it, to see if it could be killed. I microwaved, cooked it in an oven, froze it solid and doused it in bleach. Although it was less healthy, it survived. Scientists speculate that the plant (which can dry out down to 1% moisture) could be "dead" for a hundred years, and still spring back to life in minutes of receiving water.

Have you ever owned a resurrection plant?

http://www.howplantswork.com/2010/0...me-back-to-life-after-near-total-dehydration/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Resurrection plants are these amazing little poikilohydry (plants able to dry to the cellular level) species that can survive without their root systems being in water or soil. They look like a dried out pine branch when dehydrated. I had one years back. I left it on top of my fridge for two years, and one day poured some water on it, and it open up and turned a little brighter green before my eyes. I know it sounds a little mean, but I conducted an experiment on it, to see if it could be killed. I microwaved, cooked it in an oven, froze it solid and doused it in bleach. Although it was less healthy, it survived. Scientists speculate that the plant (which can dry out down to 1% moisture) could be "dead" for a hundred years, and still spring back to life in minutes of receiving water.

Have you ever owned a resurrection plant?

http://www.howplantswork.com/2010/0...me-back-to-life-after-near-total-dehydration/

Yes. I've owned one exactly like this. I thought I was the only one who ever did anything crazy like this. I always pictured the way other gardeners would look at me like I was a loony. I've owned several but have none in my present area of living. I would consider getting them again though...

Ask a Question