Replant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IMG_20231103_010335332.jpg
I got this as a gift at the beginning of summer...I had it outside all summer and it doubled in size. I've recently brought it in for the winter . It's in a shallow bowl. I don't do great with indoor plants and I'm nervous to disturb it. Is it ok packed in like this? Should I replant the whole thing in a bigger container or separately?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is a matter there may be opinions on. I could be wrong, but my feeling is, firstly, if it doubled in size it is not hating where it is too much, second, With winter coming it is not going to be doing nearly as much, so it probably wouldn't mind waiting for Spring.
When it comes to it I reckon bigger container or separately is up to you. Pros and cons. Bigger container may be reaching a size where it is a pain to move, separately is probably not so attractive, but you could propagate from them and create a new container whilst keeping the original as a future source. I don't know the size of your social circle, but if they double in size each year you may find after a few years you have run out of people to give them to. :)
I would be tempted to try and strike a leaf or two from the jade plant at the back. The round sempervivum should produce side growths, chicks from the hen, that you can separate when they are a bit established. Not sure about the other two, but most of these things propagate easily. I can be good to have a back up if anything goes wrong, and another gift if it doesn't.
I notice a brown leaf tip, could be you are giving them a bit much water, or it rained a bit before they came in, Succulents don't need lots of water on the whole, and even less in winter.

I expect there will be other opinions, I look forward to hearing them, I am not really that expert with succulents, but for what it is worth I would give them 'til Spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Oliver. It would be better to leave these as they are until springtime. Reduce any watering by a lot, and don't let the plants sit in water under any circumstance. As an afterthought, don't be tempted to feed them either during the winter months, and make sure they are not directly by the heating system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is a matter there may be opinions on. I could be wrong, but my feeling is, firstly, if it doubled in size it is not hating where it is too much, second, With winter coming it is not going to be doing nearly as much, so it probably wouldn't mind waiting for Spring.
When it comes to it I reckon bigger container or separately is up to you. Pros and cons. Bigger container may be reaching a size where it is a pain to move, separately is probably not so attractive, but you could propagate from them and create a new container whilst keeping the original as a future source. I don't know the size of your social circle, but if they double in size each year you may find after a few years you have run out of people to give them to. :)
I would be tempted to try and strike a leaf or two from the jade plant at the back. The round sempervivum should produce side growths, chicks from the hen, that you can separate when they are a bit established. Not sure about the other two, but most of these things propagate easily. I can be good to have a back up if anything goes wrong, and another gift if it doesn't.
I notice a brown leaf tip, could be you are giving them a bit much water, or it rained a bit before they came in, Succulents don't need lots of water on the whole, and even less in winter.

I expect there will be other opinions, I look forward to hearing them, I am not really that expert with succulents, but for what it is worth I would give them 'til Spring.
I've never tried to propagate succulents, but I will give it a try. The odd thing is I can have a succulent outside all summer where it gets exposed to all different levels of rain, sun, heat, and dryness and it thrives ...the minute I bring it inside it seems to go downhill.... I think I will leave it be until spring 🌼 thanks for your input

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with Oliver. It would be better to leave these as they are until springtime. Reduce any watering by a lot, and don't let the plants sit in water under any circumstance. As an afterthought, don't be tempted to feed them either during the winter months, and make sure they are not directly by the heating system.
Thanks for your thoughts...I think I will leave it until spring...I've brought succulents indoors after summer and cut way back on watering, etc...then it will start dropping its leaves. I hope I can keep this one happy until spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's really very easy to propagate these, just pull a bit off and stick it in the ground, or peaty compost. In the ground outside, here in the uk, these plants are perfectly ok outside, even when it gets frosty as long as they are sheltered from excessive rainfall. I find that their worst enemy indoors during the winter months is the heating.
Maybe you have an outside shelter/porch where the plants could live until spring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
here in the uk, these plants are perfectly ok outside, even when it gets frosty as long as they are sheltered from excessive rainfall.
I have some like the large round, purplish one slightly left of centre, though mine are more green grey. I find that they will make it in the greenhouse if I stand them away from the sides, but if they catch a bit of frost the middle dies off and then the rest follows.

Ask a Question