Raised Beds with top soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
So i am very new to gardening, and we just put in two raised garden beds. We dug up the initial grass, and then put in a nice deep layer of Top Soil. The top soil has peat moss in it. We planted about 8 different varieties of veggies, but I am now reading that we probably should have put compost or manure in along with it. Is that true, or are we alright with having all top soil with peat moss? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So i am very new to gardening, and we just put in two raised garden beds. We dug up the initial grass, and then put in a nice deep layer of Top Soil. The top soil has peat moss in it. We planted about 8 different varieties of veggies, but I am now reading that we probably should have put compost or manure in along with it. Is that true, or are we alright with having all top soil with peat moss? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated
Peat will add a little acidicy to your soil but not much. Peat is great although it takes longer to break down into nutrients and you will need more than just peat for your vegetables as far a nutrients go. A good organic fertilizer will be a must along with as much organic matter as you can cram into the soil. Since you have already planted, this year I would just side dress with organic fertilizer about every 3 weeks and apply compost tea periodically. Go to the Organic Gardening forum and learn about compost tea and organics in general. Don't worry. You will still have a good garden this year and it will only get better with time if you follow organic techniques and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located?

Ask a Question