Raised Bed Prep for Spring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello,

I’ve had spinach and cilantro covered in a bed for the winter- I’m still harvesting periodically! When should I clear it to prep for the next crop? (This same bed will be home to tomato plants in several months. I plan to add a couple inches compost to replenish some of the nutes.)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... When should I clear it to prep for the next crop? (This same bed will be home to tomato plants in several months. ...
Howdy. Answer depends on...

1) what the next crop is going to be? Will it be cold weather crop or warm weather crop? If cold then go ahead now and clear/prep it. If warm, wait until about two weeks prior to last frost and clear/prep.

2) or if/when the spinach and cilantro go to seed prior to the above consideration...that could happen any time and that would be a good time to go ahead with clear/prep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Howdy. Answer depends on...

1) what the next crop is going to be? Will it be cold weather crop or warm weather crop? If cold then go ahead now and clear/prep it. If warm, wait until about two weeks prior to last frost and clear/prep.

2) or if/when the spinach and cilantro go to seed prior to the above consideration...that could happen any time and that would be a good time to go ahead with clear/prep.
Thank you!

Tomatoes go in next, but not until ~May. I’ll let the greens wind down & give the bed a rest for at least a couple weeks prior.

Ask a Question