Purple foliage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I am looking to plant something in my garden (Coastal, San Diego) with something with purple (not black or red) foliage that would be close to the ground (below 2 feet). We would like something that stays purple most of the year, perennial preferred, is easy to grow, and not poisonous to children. We prefer for bees not to be very attracted to it (bee allergy). It would be in full-partial sun. Do you have any recommendations? Or, do you recommend any of the below:

Burgundy Glow Bugleweed (Ajuga Reptans) / Persian Shield / Basil purple ruffles / Red Rubin basil / Purple leaf garden sage / Bulls blood beet / Purple kale / Purple succulent / Purple prince / Heuchera / Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart' / Oxalis triangularis aka false shamrock

Thank you!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Burgundy Glow Bugleweed (Ajuga Reptans) / Persian Shield / Basil purple ruffles / Red Rubin basil / Purple leaf garden sage / Bulls blood beet / Purple kale / Purple succulent / Purple prince / Heuchera / Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart' / Oxalis triangularis aka false shamrock
Those sound great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My question for you would be “What is your microclimate?” San Diego is a warm and mild maritime climate. Some of the plants you listed are tough Mediterranean herbs and some are moist woodland plants. I’d suggest you visit a local nursery and ask the questions there. Their knowledge can be invaluable. They also can steer you away from any plants that are invasive for your area.

Ask a Question