Powys Castle gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Beautiful! And so awesome that there are deer just freely roaming around!

I always find the differences between castles in different countries so fascinating, Here in Japan we have lots of castles but boy do they look different from ones in the UK!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
It is lovely and deer are very graceful creatures. (y)

I just wish that they would stay out of my garden! :(

Oh wow, are they bothersome? I'm imagining them being all sweet, calm and docile but I guess if they were chewing your plants and stomping all through your garden then that would certainly be frustrating!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
They are beautiful creatures but quite destructive. I wouldn't mind them strolling in my garden or sleeping there overnight and even cleaning up their droppings (quite dry) if they weren't so destructive.

Just one stag managed to eat a 7ft high and 6ft diameter shrub in one night - and chase it down with some flowers. They pull branches off the fruit trees and trample other plants.

I put up a 6ft high deer fence (chicken wire strung tightly on metal posts. My neighbour spotted a deer climbing over that by running at it, getting its front legs on the top and climbing up with its back legs. I've now solved that problem. Instead of having the chicken stretched taught I've made the top 3ft loose. So when it tries to get its front legs over the top the wire sags backwards towards it and it can't get a purchase with its rear legs.

No trouble since. (y)

My neighbour doesn't have much that would interest them (mainly lawn and trees) so doesn't bother with trying to keep them out. Last Christmas they were sitting in their lounge on evening and they saw five deer looking in their window. :)

This has been an increasing problem since the government banned deer hunting. That means the traditional way using dogs and horses - The Local Hunt.

Hunting with guns is allowed (only at certain times of year) but is restricted by area and it is difficult to get a gun licence anyway (which I agree with). All applications have to go through the police and they are particularly stringent in their requirements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just one stag managed to eat a 7ft high and 6ft diameter shrub in one night - and chase it down with some flowers. They pull branches off the fruit trees and trample other plants.

Oh my goodness, that's quite an appetite! :eek:

We have a deer park near us, but thankfully they're fenced in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Back in the old days we occasionally had a deer pop in for the night. It rarely did any damage but used to sleep under one of the apple trees as it probably felt safer there.

It was not in view of the house but the indentation of its body in the long grass was unmistakable. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a gorgeous place. Visiting it must be an unforgettable experience. I love the picture of a cute deer:)

Reaction score
Beautiful, I need to make a visit to those places, this is definitely in my list :) Definitely some of the places I want to see before kicking the bucket, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I put up a 6ft high deer fence (chicken wire strung tightly on metal posts. My neighbour spotted a deer climbing over that by running at it, getting its front legs on the top and climbing up with its back legs. I've now solved that problem. Instead of having the chicken stretched taught I've made the top 3ft loose. So when it tries to get its front legs over the top the wire sags backwards towards it and it can't get a purchase with its rear legs.

No trouble since. (y)

Nice job with thinking outside the box! Glad to hear that they're no longer posing too much concern with the modification to the fencing!

I've only really experienced deer up close once, at a place in Japan where they roam pretty freely. You can buy these biscuit/cracker things at local shops to feed them...but don't leave them in your pocket or the deer will follow you around and try and bite you because they smell the crackers!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have deer in the area but as far as I know they are not causing much damage.

The garden pictures are beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..I love what you shared! Beautiful place and so wonderful to see for winter gloomy weather we are having :)

Ask a Question