Planting some garlic soon

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Belmont, garlic is one of the easiest vegetables/herbs to grow.
I see you are growing garlic in a pot--a BIG one, I hope! Plant the cloves now in good soil with sand added to help drainage (your pot does have holes in the bottom, doesn't it?) and leave it outside. If little green sprouts come up from the cloves, don't worry. That is normal, and in the spring as the soil warms and the sun is more direct, they will start to grow well.
We just planted our garlic this week. I expect to see green sprouts in about three weeks, and the sprouts will just sit there until spring.
Be prepared, home-grown and air dried garlic is a lot more potent than the grocery store kind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Its not terribly big but itll have to do. I grew 7 onions in it over the summer, they were just a little smaller than the storebought ones. Im growing 5 cloves in the pot. Im almost positive theres holes in the bottom, if not Ill drill some.

The soil is wet from when I took the onions out, it was extremely rainy and the soil was soaked. Been waiting 2 months for it to dry now and its still too wet I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So I put them out, and the aoil got nice and dry after a few days. And then we got 2 inches of snow which turned into slush. The soil is now properly soaked, do i have to worry about the garlic rotting even though its getting colder out?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The soil is now properly soaked, do i have to worry about the garlic rotting even though its getting colder out?

Im almost positive theres holes in the bottom, if not Ill drill some.

Did you ever check for drainage holes? :unsure: I don't know much about growing garlic, but if they don't drain, I believe they'll rot. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, there was about a dozen 1/2" holes in the bottom. It all froze before the water got a shot at draining, is why Im worried.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Garlic is frozen through, it was -23C last night and theres a foot of snow already. Ill have to move them into the shed soon, if it gets below -35C Ill bring them into the house and hope for the best

Ask a Question