Planting Aubrieta on a brick structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after living in my flat for a few years I've finally decided to make the back garden look some what presentable. It is a long rectangular shape and one of the corners is made up of the remaining 2 walls of an old brick building.

One of my ideas for this section is to have Aubrieta growing along the top of the brick work and eventually cascading over. Thankfully the wall is still sturdy, but this means there aren't enough cracks/crevices in the right places for me to put the Aubrieta.

The top surface is also too uneven for planters so my idea was to drill evenly spaced holes into the top of the bricks to make enough room for the plant/soil. From what I've read Aubrieta also likes plenty of drainage so my main questions are:

How much space/ soil does Aubrieta need? What size holes would be needed to accommodate the plant / roots?

Would the bricks be absorbent enough to prevent water pooling or would I also need to drill additional hole's on the face of the wall to allow for drainage?

Is this actually a feasible idea or are there better ways of achieving the same results?

Please feel free to include any other considerations I may be missing as I'm a complete newbie when it comes to gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would the bricks be absorbent enough to prevent water pooling or would I also need to drill additional hole's on the face of the wall to allow for drainage?
There are bricks and bricks, the old red or yellow stocks would probably be absorbent enough, harder bricks, like flettons wouldn't.
The idea of a windowless window box seems a really good one, it would be good to have enough soil to grow other things as well. An established aubretia is lovely, but fairly brief, and you could grow things that went up as well as hung down, break up the line of the top.

Ask a Question