Plant identification help please :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
@Amy Louisa There are always sub species and variations of any plant, short of having a nursery or a cacti expert look at the plant it is really impossible to say for sure exactly what you have, but for basic care reasons it would be a safe bet to say that is probably what the plant is.

The best example I can give you is this, I have had Columbine in my yard for years and this year a co-worker gave me some that he split. When I put the plant in I felt like maybe he was wrong, the leaves look close though, yet different. Eventually the flowers opened and it is indeed Columbine but the flowers are all single color, not duo toned like the McKennas Giant variety. Still it is the same species and very nice. perhaps you are having the same experience? If you ever do find out for sure let me know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indeed the plant in the OP is a Haworthia, in the Asphodel Family (Asphodelaceae), native to South Africa.
There are currently about 60 species of Haworthia recognized, and also a great deal of infraspecific variation
represented as varieties, subspecies, and unusual clonal cultivars.

The plant pictured in the OP bears a particular resemblance to Haworthia mucronata ssp. mucronata, but the possibility of a hybrid or atypical clone of another species cannot be discounted.

Ask a Question