Perennial plants for pots that can thrive in an area that receives no direct sunlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any suggestions please for plants to put in pots where there is no direct sunlight please. I've googled this many times and often find that when I try to buy the suggested plant, the retailers notes say grows best in full sun or partial shade but never full shade.
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Some varieties of ferns do well with no direct sunlight. Boston fern is my favorite, but there are others that can be potted. Here is a link that describes different ferns, their size, and requirements.http://www.costafarms.com/get-growing/news/a-shopper-s-guide-to-buying-outdoor-ferns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some varieties of ferns do well with no direct sunlight. Boston fern is my favorite, but there are others that can be potted. Here is a link that describes different ferns, their size, and requirements.http://www.costafarms.com/get-growing/news/a-shopper-s-guide-to-buying-outdoor-ferns
Thank you for your response

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fuchsias do well in complete shade - stick to hardy ones though. As well as ferns as @marlingardener said, Hostas also do well, and Hellebores, Heuchera, variegated Ivy and some Sedums too.
For really big pots you could grow an Acer tree, or climbing Hydrangea, some Roses, some Clematis. Grasses do well.
My back garden faces North, so I`ve had a bit of practise! oh... try woodland bulbs too.
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Begonias, impatients, hostas of many sizes, primrose, ferns of many varieties, coleus are all plants I had in pots last summer. Trailers like creeping Charlie, but be careful because if it escapes it’s hard to iradicate in some areas. Pink blooming deadnettle works well also, but not the yellow variety as its invasive. Only recommendation would be to use large pots and good commercial potting mix because the plants will grow fast. The photos were all taken early in the season last year. 3AE404D3-27D2-4EB9-950D-16F16C2C6EDE.jpeg1FC2FD52-5DCA-4AB6-979C-FADABFD7BF9D.jpeg1EC816B5-4DEF-4A70-B5B0-2D101B6D1B71.jpegA2C04BE5-D8A2-4416-8E06-DFDA9D4C8B79.jpeg The coleus in the third pic got over 3 feet tall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fuchsias do well in complete shade - stick to hardy ones though. As well as ferns as @marlingardener said, Hostas also do well, and Hellebores, Heuchera, variegated Ivy and some Sedums too.
For really big pots you could grow an Acer tree, or climbing Hydrangea, some Roses, some Clematis. Grasses do well.
My back garden faces North, so I`ve had a bit of practise! oh... try woodland bulbs too.
Many thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Begonias, impatients, hostas of many sizes, primrose, ferns of many varieties, coleus are all plants I had in pots last summer. Trailers like creeping Charlie, but be careful because if it escapes it’s hard to iradicate in some areas. Pink blooming deadnettle works well also, but not the yellow variety as its invasive. Only recommendation would be to use large pots and good commercial potting mix because the plants will grow fast. The photos were all taken early in the season last year.View attachment 76556View attachment 76557View attachment 76558View attachment 76559 The coleus in the third pic got over 3 feet tall.
Thankyou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will look at our local garden centre, thanks for your suggestions

Ask a Question