Overwintering geraniums

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello fellow gardeners. I'm new to this forum and need some advice overwintering my geraniums. I live in zone 5. I have 2 unheated sheds. One of the sheds gets more sun than the other. I've dug and cleaned up the plants I want to keep and have placed them upside down in a cardboard box but I haven't closed the boxes tight to allow for air circulation. I have no idea what the temperature in the sheds are in the dead of winter but I've been reading the temperature should be between 10-15C. I also have a crawlspace but its quite warm down there so not an option. This is a big experiment for me and I'm hoping someone can provide some advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm not sure about overwintering outside. I got geraniums this year and am going back to my tried and true method. pull plants, clean roots and store upside down in paper grocery bags in my basement. It's worked every year I have done it but our basement doesn't get any colder than 50f.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about overwintering outside. I got geraniums this year and am going back to my tried and true method. pull plants, clean roots and store upside down in paper grocery bags in my basement. It's worked every year I have done it but our basement doesn't get any colder than 50f.
I would be storing them in the shed not outside. Great you have a usuable basement. I don't.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Amisha :)
Whenever I`ve kept ''geraniums'' over winter.... (assuming you mean the half hardy pelargoniums) I`ve just bunged them all in a pot, kept them in a well lit shed fairly dry and waited until spring time. Spring is the time to cut them back and tidy them up. It is also the best time to take cuttings for new plants.
These days I stick with hardy perennial geraniums - they are so much easier and can stay out all winter.

Ask a Question