Overwintering geraniums

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My wife has decided to bring the geraniums indoors and try to overwinter them in the house. We're way up here in Western New York State and yes, its a long cold winter. I'm wondering if there is any advice or tips or warnings that I should be aware of.
Thanks for any help,
Mark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine you mean pelargoniums -
1571939988188.png
rather than geraniums
1571940143422.png
which are hardy.
The most important things to remember are that the roots will need to be kept just damp not wet. The plants need lots of light, so a conservatory or window ledge is best. It would help to make more space if the plants are cut back, and they will bush out better....... you could make cuttings out of the bits you cut off.
They will not flourish if in a very humid situation, and will need a good air circulation.
Lastly, it would be a good idea to take off any leaves that look under par - watch for rust as it can spread through the foliage quickly!
Hope they all survive well for you (y)

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. I have copied it to the wife and I'm going to take off some of the leaves that have already yellowed.

Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Does it matter if the house is heated with gas or electric or oil? Will the type of heat make a difference for the geraniums?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It isn't so much the type of heating used, but rather more the amount of air circulation. Warmth is great from any source, but I think many folk shut the doors and windows and turn the heat up when the weather gets cold and don't allow enough fresh air to come in.
That's not good for plants or people either :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
In the previous decade my friend Mary Ellen's father declared that he stopped overwintering geraniums. He expressed that the newer varieties of hybrid geraniums did not do well.

Ask a Question