Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
Yep, a newbie and obsessed so a total overspill of questions!

Recently retired I got a dog. So that kept me focused for quite a while. Dog walking is a very sociable activity but I needed something more stimulating.
I have a small garden which had been easy maintenance throughout those busy years of full time work and kids etc…….but then it dawned on me! I could create a wealth of colour instead of the boring drabness that it is at present.
So last spring I got started. Decided to do some seeds, buy some pretties and concentrate on just a couple of areas to start off with. Trouble was you can’t do one area and the move on, cos by the time you move on the season is all wrong for the new bit. So now I’m thinking ahead.

Have done loads of reading and YouTube watching, loving the steep learning curve. However, jargon often muddies the water and the presumption that I know more than I do. To this end am hoping I can ask the mundane questions here and eventually be of help to others. Tried finding a local gardening club without success.

So, Hello all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome. Many times the most mundane of questions are the most important questions one can ask, especially in gardening.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome! Here in the States some often negatively refer to that as dumb questions.... but they are so wrong! There are no dumb questions. We all can learn from questions, so they are most welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

As a long retired contributor, I've what I've always called a "low maintenance" garden. Actually, unless it's completely paved, I've found there's no such thing. So despite having no annuals or hanging baskets, there's still a lot of work which is progressively getting harder.
So it's worth looking ahead and deciding what could be a problem as you get older.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, and yes, you are welcome to ask questions, there is usually someone who knows a good answer, there is usually more than one good answer to garden questions.
, jargon often muddies the water
I'd love to hear some examples, I write a bit and it is just the sort of thing that can trigger a short story

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you kindly for your welcomes.
An example of a basic bit of jargon is the seasons……’late winter’ etc…….I have googled this as for me the exact month is more helpful as everything is done by the book at the moment.
I shall go find the appropriate forum bit to ask my questions.
See you there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Winter 2022
begins Wednesday, 21 December
(in 14 days)
ends Monday, 20 March

Think March; the end of January and beginning of February are the deep mid winter, no matter what the song says :) Mind you, who knows what might happen, England always had weather rather than a climate, but it is even more erratic recently.

Ask a Question