New Year, New garden

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi!

I have recently moved to a new property, and in the coming year, I want to make over the garden.
I wouldn't say I am a beginner, but in my last garden, I made a lot of mistakes, many of which I never found solutions to. So I am hoping that this time round, I can do a better job.

My goal is to create an asthetically pleasing, but also productive garden. Something along the lines of a potager garden, although I don't have a lot of space.

My first steps were to take down some very large palms that were taking up valuable real estate, next will be a few more unsuitable trees. I will be working mostly with raised beds, and I want to add in a native, wildlife friendly hedge and a frog pond.

None of my friends are gardener's, so I am hoping to find some brains to pick here .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of information here already, try putting 'new garden' into the search (Top right), it will give you a different set of results if you do or don't tick the 'titles only' box. That is not to say that people are not ready and willing to answer specific questions if you ask in the appropriate forum (Top left).
I love the idea of the hedge, I heard someone on the radio once saying that it's possible to date hedges by the number of different species they are made up of, fifty years for each species. This is England of course, but I have always fancied planting a five or six hundred year old hedge :) I particularly remembered it because I was on the way to a job cutting a hedge outside a five hundred year old farmhouse, and as I was doing it realised the hedge predated the farmhouse by several hundred years.

Ask a Question