My Worm Babies

Reaction score
I went to the Ag center last year and did a worm class with kids. It was pretty cool and I took home a huge plastic storage box of worms. I have been feeding them and adding paper for bedding/eating. So, yesterday I figured it was about time to separate the worms and the compost. I was going to add all new bedding because I thought it was too wet in there.

I am happily separating the stuff and talking to my worms. They were rather fat! I found quite a few tiny, tiny babies! Then, I came across some funny golden balls. In class we did not go through specifics, it was just a kids class. So, I Googled worm eggs. Guess what? That is what they were! I am so happy and amazed at what cute things they are. I thought I would share the picture with everyone here.

Attachments

• worm eggs.jpg
    worm eggs.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new babies, it shows that you have been making all of the right moves! I would love to raise my own worms inside but don't have the space for it. I'm sure that the kids in your worm class really appreciate what you do for them.

Reaction score
I have found adding finely crushed eggshells really stimulates reproduction in my red worms. My guess is the calcium, but usually a week or 2 after adding egg shell powder there is a fresh batch of eggs and little babes. Side note: if you see the worms all balled up and writhing around, play some Barry White and do not disturb :p

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to grow worms after I move into my own place. It sound like it was more fun for you than the kids. Hope you get a good batch of new worms and very rich soil soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have found adding finely crushed eggshells really stimulates reproduction in my red worms. My guess is the calcium, but usually a week or 2 after adding egg shell powder there is a fresh batch of eggs and little babes. Side note: if you see the worms all balled up and writhing around, play some Barry White and do not disturb :p
Heyyyyyyyy!!! :cool:

Reaction score
I actually have no room here, I kept the worm tub in the bathroom. Well, I did up until it started getting cold in the bathroom. Now I have them tucked under the kitchen table. When summer comes they will go outside. It is kind of a moving game, but I think it is worth it to watch them grow and make compost.

Oh, I did not host the worm class, I just went. I took my kids. My little girl thought it was cute, until I asked her if she wanted to hold one. My boy is all about science and stuff, so he loved the class. I guess I could have explained better, but I always seem to be in a rush. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wish I could say that I find them cute, but I can't:p I've always been terrified of worms! They're so weird, long and scary. I'd never touch them! But I know they're very beneficial to our gardens:)

Reaction score
Worm babies, that sounds so quaint. Congratulations to your success. I have never seen worm eggs. Thank you for showing me this. All I ever see are the big, happy and healthy worms in my backyard. Sometimes I pick them up when they are lost on the bitumen street that runs past my garden and place them safely back where they belong. :)

Ask a Question