My Twilight Zone Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by cultivation methods. It was on one small squash in one container. I've never seen it before and I haven't seen it on anything since, and I don't want to. So I wonder if I should throw away that container soil. I don't know what diseases lurk
in soil ready for the next season's plant. But I know pests certainly do! I was digging up (totally off topic) sweet potatoes and kept
finding these white, segmented, half inch grub looking things. I was afraid they were squash vine borer larvae or pupae. The moth is actually a pretty little thing. I dug through both beds looking for them and put them in a container. I started out stepping on them but couldn't stand that popping noise! Ugh. Then I decided to put them in a glass jar with soil and a top and see what they turned into. At night I saw them crawling about on top of the soil, so gave them potato peelings in case they were hungry. And they ate them! But my accommodations were apparently not up to their standards and they all died. The End
I stopped reading when I saw you can toss it out. By all means ...bag it up and throw it out. Those spores have been released in your environment already but perhaps you can get lucky. Who knows it may have come in that potting soil? Airborne is always a vector unfortunately and it does eat other flowers.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not sure what you mean by cultivation methods. It was on one small squash in one container. I've never seen it before and I haven't seen it on anything since, and I don't want to. So I wonder if I should throw away that container soil. I don't know what diseases lurk
in soil ready for the next season's plant. But I know pests certainly do! I was digging up (totally off topic) sweet potatoes and kept
finding these white, segmented, half inch grub looking things. I was afraid they were squash vine borer larvae or pupae. The moth is actually a pretty little thing. I dug through both beds looking for them and put them in a container. I started out stepping on them but couldn't stand that popping noise! Ugh. Then I decided to put them in a glass jar with soil and a top and see what they turned into. At night I saw them crawling about on top of the soil, so gave them potato peelings in case they were hungry. And they ate them! But my accommodations were apparently not up to their standards and they all died. The End

It would be a good idea to give the container a wash and use new soil in it next year, just like if it was in the ground crop rotation would be good to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be a good idea to give the container a wash and use new soil in it next year, just like if it was in the ground crop rotation would be good to do.
Yeah. That stuff was hairy-scary! If I dump it somewhere in my backyard is the hairy thing apt to blow about and reappear in my garden again? Should I just put it curbside for trash pickup, ya think?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah. That stuff was hairy-scary! If I dump it somewhere in my backyard is the hairy thing apt to blow about and reappear in my garden again? Should I just put it curbside for trash pickup, ya think?
Yes, best to put the hairy thing in the garbage and have it as far away from the garden as possible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Who knows it may have come in that potting soil?
I put 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite in the containers, along with some fertilizer. Recommended by a Gardener Scott on
YouTube. My gardening philosophy is a patchwork of recommendations from here, there, and everywhere in my ongoing "how do I do this?!" quest. Last summer I came across an article on 18-day hot composting. I really wanted to create my own compost, and I have
a compost bin in my backyard left by previous owners, so I got a pitch fork, a compost thermometer, took copious notes, and wasted no time embarking on 18-day hot composting with 97% enthusiasm and 3% know-how.

It was too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too small. I ran out of dead leaves and spent days tearing up cardboard boxes which never seemed to dent the temperature, which I took several times a day like it was a sick child. 18 days? Ha! Plus the tongs or whatever they are on a pitch fork were way too wide because stuff just fell through before I could get it to the other side of the bin so I ended up
raking it out on a tarp with my hands. I assumed a pitch fork was a dang pitch fork. Anyway, on a particularly hot day, sweat
streaming from every pore, seeing cardboard strips still clearly in that pile, having been at it for weeks, I admitted defeat.

This is over your head. Give it up. They sell this stuff in bags at Lowes. Go get some! And so I did. The End

BTW, that's a cool avatar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I put 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite in the containers, along with some fertilizer. Recommended by a Gardener Scott on
YouTube. My gardening philosophy is a patchwork of recommendations from here, there, and everywhere in my ongoing "how do I do this?!" quest. Last summer I came across an article on 18-day hot composting. I really wanted to create my own compost, and I have
a compost bin in my backyard left by previous owners, so I got a pitch fork, a compost thermometer, took copious notes, and wasted no time embarking on 18-day hot composting with 97% enthusiasm and 3% know-how.

It was too hot. Too cold. Too wet. Too small. I ran out of dead leaves and spent days tearing up cardboard boxes which never seemed to dent the temperature, which I took several times a day like it was a sick child. 18 days? Ha! Plus the tongs or whatever they are on a pitch fork were way too wide because stuff just fell through before I could get it to the other side of the bin so I ended up
raking it out on a tarp with my hands. I assumed a pitch fork was a dang pitch fork. Anyway, on a particularly hot day, sweat
streaming from every pore, seeing cardboard strips still clearly in that pile, having been at it for weeks, I admitted defeat.

This is over your head. Give it up. They sell this stuff in bags at Lowes. Go get some! And so I did. The End

BTW, that's a cool avatar.
A very old method of composting is the stinky barrel. I wonder if that method would pastuerize spores over time? I suppose it could be boiled as well if the barrel were metal.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are different AI's but I use the gpt from OpenAI. I enjoy poetry very much but am horrible at writing it so the one I use helps me write poetry. I also do AI art now too and starting AI animation. I'm not sure who Penrose is?
It's important to stay on-top of things at my age, I still have another 50-60 years left give or take, unless something unexpected happens to me. None of my irl friends or family (in real life) or online friends garden so that's why I joined this forum. My son gardens with me but he is just a kid. That and it's nice to get a break from social media when I am on here otherwise I would have joined one of those gardening chats. So as nice as it would be to have some people on here in my age group it really doesn't matter.
Sir Roger Penrose is an interesting scientist who won a Nobel Prize for explaining that black holes could exist. About twenty years ago astronomers started seeing light that was coming from a billion years ago. They came from such a powerful source of light that they were looking for something huge. Instead, they found quasars. Quasars have no mass and therefore no time element. They could have existed before the big bang.
When asked what the children of tomorrow could look forward to Sir Roger said they would likely be able to communicate with the past and the future.
Nothing about gardening. His comment that AI is "imitation", not intelligence, was snobbish and now I can see that you guys are using it like all students use a mentor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sir Roger Penrose is an interesting scientist who won a Nobel Prize for explaining that black holes could exist. About twenty years ago astronomers started seeing light that was coming from a billion years ago. They came from such a powerful source of light that they were looking for something huge. Instead, they found quasars. Quasars have no mass and therefore no time element. They could have existed before the big bang.
When asked what the children of tomorrow could look forward to Sir Roger said they would likely be able to communicate with the past and the future.
Nothing about gardening. His comment that AI is "imitation", not intelligence, was snobbish and now I can see that you guys are using it like all students use a mentor.
Yeah but I just keep my facts on the internet and look them up when needed. The room I save is useful for keeping up with my wife.

Ask a Question