My Gerbera Daisy Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Guess what I found on my plant? I took a photo this morning with my phone so you could see:

View attachment 804

There is another little bud down in there as well. When I move the leaves back and look at the base of the plant it looks as though there might be two plants sharing the container.
Oh wow, that's wonderful, Chanell...Nothing on mine yet but the leaves are very healthy so I'm hopeful. If not I really do like it as a green plant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Nice that you spotted it so small Chanell. I love to watch how my plants progress. When I grew my first citrus tree from seed a few years ago I photographed it every day for a month before I realised that it was no longer changing significantly from day to day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I was just outside on my new balcony ( I have moved ) and guess what?? I now have two gerbera daisies that have sprouted and several more ready to pop. I was so surprised. I had been using the banana water and I really think it did the trick. I placed it on my new balcony and basically forgot about because I have been so busy with unpacking etc. Later, I will get out there and take a few photos to post. Thanks again for your help Chanell:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is so awesome! I finally got around to repotting mine. It turned out there were two plants in the container so I separated them, and as I was doing so I noticed a new flower bud near the base. My daisies are yellow, but now I want a different color. My mom has red ones and every time I go over there I forget to deadhead and save a flower so I can have seeds. Congratulations on your soon to be blooms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
That is so awesome! I finally got around to repotting mine. It turned out there were two plants in the container so I separated them, and as I was doing so I noticed a new flower bud near the base. My daisies are yellow, but now I want a different color. My mom has red ones and every time I go over there I forget to deadhead and save a flower so I can have seeds. Congratulations on your soon to be blooms!
Thanks very much, Chanell and I finally got around to taking a photo of my pretty little blooms :)
896371234_1378888812.JPG

This morning I see some new buds, so all is well:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Blueeyes, it's a lovely picture, thank you for sharing it. I really like the flower. I often see cut gerberas at the florist, but I'm pretty sure that I've never seen them growing here. I guess it's a little too cold for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awesome! I think I moved one of my divided transplants too soon, it was a little wilted when I went outside yesterday. I moved it to a slightly more shady spot, and it doesn't seem to have wilted any further so I hope it will bounce back fully. I'd really hate to lose it after all I've been through with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Chanell, my bonsai club teaches us to keep our trees in the shade for a couple of weeks after they've been repotted. I imagine that similar treatment would benefit any plant growing in a pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, my bonsai club teaches us to keep our trees in the shade for a couple of weeks after they've been repotted. I imagine that similar treatment would benefit any plant growing in a pot.

I have started repotting in the late evening so the plants don't get beat up by the sun in the high heat part of the day, but when summer peaks the sun is really intense so I switched to moving transplants that had been divided or might otherwise be at risk to shady spots. Usually a day or so will do it because some plants stay too moist in the shade. It's always a challenge trying to gauge this stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
If the plants stay to moist in the shade, maybe you should cut down on the water for a while.

I must confess that I always get very nervous when I have to repot a tree, but that usually involves cutting quite a lot of the old roots off. As you don't have to do that, the recovery time is probably quicker.

I hope your transplant is doing better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If the plants stay to moist in the shade, maybe you should cut down on the water for a while.

That's easier said than done when mother nature is the one doing the watering, lol. Now that the days are less hot, I usually go out at mid morning and see how things are faring and if they need more moisture. Of course, some days you wait for the rain and it doesn't come; on other days you water and then a storm rolls through threatening to drown your more delicate plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
When I need to keep plants in the shade, I stick them under a table. That way I have control over the amount of water they get too. I've got a brush cherry (Syzygium) that I repotted about a week ago which is too tall to fit under the table so I've been bringing that one indoors at night as it's the only way I can be sure it won't get any sun.

How is your gerbera doing after its transplant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't have a table in the yard I can do that with, but the ones I have in the shade are under the canopy of a tree and that helps. I have to figure something out for the future - the plants on the bottom of the habitat have that protection because I put cardboard down on the greenhouse's wire shelves, but it also means they may not get enough moisture...

The daisy that I thought I had put out in the sun too soon had one leaf turn yellow, but otherwise it seems healthy. The bigger one that I left in the shade looks great and has a new flower coming up. The single leaf that seemed to have roots when I'd separated it from the main plant was in the same container with the large plant and it wilted.

Thanks for asking :)

Ask a Question