My Gerbera Daisy Plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have just checked out the link you gave me and I did find it very helpful.I have a nice sunny window picked out and will let you know how it does:) Thanks, Chanell.

I read once that banana peels were suppose to be a deterrent against aphids... And the garlic too, thanks!

I'll have to give the coffee grinds a miss though as we don't have coffee at home..

You're welcome!

A long time ago I read that you could use balled up aluminum foil to deter aphids from roses; never saw anything about them connected to banana peel that I can recall.

You can collect coffee grinds from friends or a nearby coffee shop. Most people just throw them out anyway. I don't currently make coffee at home, but when I am around someone who does I ask for their grinds from that day. You don't need much because you don't want to over do it. I also collect leftover coffee to make tonic for watering plants.

Could your rose bush have a fungus? Try spraying it with aspirin water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
A long time ago I read that you could use balled up aluminum foil to deter aphids from roses; never saw anything about them connected to banana peel that I can recall.

I actually came across a note I'd made about aphids that says to put a slice of banana on some tinfoil - it says aphids will hate the smell.

I think I may try the tip from TheCrazyPlantLady about spraying with tea first as I've got so many plants to take care of that it's easier to do that than go digging in all my pots.

I don't think I'll bother with the coffee grinds at the moment. I don't know anyone who uses ground coffee and I'm not good at asking help from strangers. I will check the rose bushes to see if I can see any signs of fungus though but I suspect that the trees are just undernourished.

We actually use a garden service to take care of the plants in the garden, but they're hopeless for anything more than mowing the lawn and clearing away the mess. We even have to remind them to remove dead flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I actually came across a note I'd made about aphids that says to put a slice of banana on some tinfoil - it says aphids will hate the smell.

I may have to look into that. Aphids may hate the smell, but other critters don't lol. I read that putting banana peel down is supposed to repel mosquitoes. Still get bit every time I go outside with bare skin :-(

I also have to look into the use of tea further. I made some tobacco tea once for dealing with leaf miners. It's really hard to find tobacco without a bunch of additives in it. I guess it worked okay, it was a long time ago though.

My Gerbera Daisy looks healthy, but it hasn't produced another flower :-(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
My Gerbera Daisy looks healthy, but it hasn't produced another flower :-(

I hope it gets another flower soon. :)

I've never owned a Gerbera Daisy though I've often been tempted to buy one as a photographic subject. I always put it off because I feel I won't find time to get creative while the flower is fresh, but I'll have to do it one of these days.

I'll have to read through some of these links first so that I know how to look after it afterwards. I don't imagine it will take kindly to being kept in my greenhouse and watered with a hose, and I'm rather lazy about looking after the few plants that live in the house. I've got three African Violet plants sitting next to my computer. Two are thriving, but one looks very sickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've got three African Violet plants sitting next to my computer. Two are thriving, but one looks very sickly.

Try the aspirin spray on them. The salicylicic acid helps plants repair themselves and fend off disease. The violets may have too much or too little water; they are so delicate, I've never kept one alive for very long.

You should get the daisy; it will inspire you to take the photographs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I can't spray African Violets - the leaves are hairy and you're not supposed to get water on them. Maybe I could try watering with a bit of aspirin though. They usually do quite well and I've had my big one for over ten years. One of them is flowering at the moment, but the big one isn't. I'm not sure why because it's looking healthy. They're really fussy about light and won't flower unless conditions are perfect.

I'll get the daisy eventually, but I haven't got time or space for it right now.

Reaction score
African violets also do really well in terrariums, and the bonus is that once you get the moisture level right, you don't have to water them for a really, really long time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
African violets also do really well in terrariums, and the bonus is that once you get the moisture level right, you don't have to water them for a really, really long time

I didn't realize they were suitable for terrariums with their hairy leaves. That's something for me to consider when I have the time and space. I'm so involved with developing trees for bonsai that I don't have much time for my other plants.

The healthy ones are too big to put into a terrarium, but I might try putting the sickly one in a terrarium type environment and see if that helps. Thanks for a great suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Now you're talking! Could I just place them in the post in an aquarium or do I have to create an actual terrarium? Although, every time I try to cloche something, whether it is seeds I am trying to start or rose cuttings I am trying to root, they almost immediately mildew. I don't know if it's because of the climate here or what.

Reaction score
I'm sure the aquarium would work fine. I learned the hard way that you have to get your moisture level right, or else everything will mould and mildew. Yuck.

If you leave the aquarium, or terrarium, open, then you will have to water more often, but the African violet will still love the humid environment, and you don't have to worry about it being too moist. If you have a closed environment, then you don't have to water for months, but it takes a bit of time to get the water level just right. The water in the terrarium is supposed to condense on the sides during the day, when it is warmer, then trickle down into the soil in the evenings when it cools off. However, if there is so much condensation that you cannot see the plant, then it is too moist and your plant will rot. You have to play around with taking the lid off for a few days, then putting it back on for a few days, then, if it's not quite right, off again for a few days, etc.

I find that if there is water around the rocks at the bottom, but the soil feels only slightly damp, it usually is just about right. I've got mine in a closed terrarium with a grow light on 12 hours a day (because it's in a very dark section of the room) and it's blooming like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That seems simultaneously simple and complicated all at the same time. I have a cousin who raises African Violets; I will have to ask her about this. She uses a wick system for watering, but that didn't work for me either (sigh).

Update: My Gerbera daisy is leafy and lovely and looks very healthy so I am hopeful it will flower again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
. Update: My Gerbera daisy is leafy and lovely and looks very healthy so I am hopeful it will flower again.
That's great, Chanell. Mine is leafy and lovely too...The leaves are such a healthy looking green that even if it doesn't flower, its a gorgeous plant:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's great, Chanell. Mine is leafy and lovely too...The leaves are such a healthy looking green that even if it doesn't flower, its a gorgeous plant:)

Make that banana spray; if it's warm where you live it should be able to flower again. It doesn't seem to be affected by too much heat or too much rain - so far anyway. I am hoping to get another flower so I can save some seeds to start more plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Today is a crazy and hectic day for me, but I will try really hard to make the banana spray tomorrow. Then we will see if I can get this beauty to flower. If you do get another flower, please post a photo, Chanell and I will do the same:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, I am always taking pictures of my garden! Though lately I have been taking more pictures of my caterpillars, lol. They are busy little buggers that are always on the verge of getting into trouble. A wasp managed to get into the enclosure the other day and I almost flipped out. There's been a large spider lurking about as well, but most of the swallowtails have pupated and almost all of the larger monarchs have as well.

I was just out looking at the daisy and moving the leaves to see if any were starting to develop. (Sigh) Finger crossed, right? :)

Ask a Question