Mulch?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm aware best time to mulch is in the Spring.

We are in the mist of a very bad drought. I'm thinking mulch and make use of any moisture we do get.

Thoughts?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Truly it depends where you are, and your zone. In the beginning with new plants, and being smaller I would thick layer around the roots in the fall to protect from cold winters. Now that they are established, and very large, and I have some healthy re-seeders, I rarely mulch. But in general I think the best time still would be the fall . Although if I have planted something new, even in the summer, I will pile on the mulch, give it a good watering.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mostly around New Trees with Leaves and Wood Chips around the bigger stuff.

I really don't see it helping other than keeping what little moisture we get. Looks like it is going to get much worse.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The best time to mulch is when the soil organisms have nearly eaten away all the old mulch.

The second best time to mulch....NOW!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In my oldest bed, 30 years old, all the mulching I did over those years has made awesome soil. Today, I don't mulch in there at all. The plants very dense , I have to step carefully among them, weaving in and out to prune if needed or find a small weed clump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I mulch all my fruit trees, fruiting bushes and vines in early spring, summer and late fall. Summer and spring applications are due to pulling it back to fertilize. For some reason when you pull it away you never have enough to put it back how it was.

The late fall application is to protect the roots like Ester mentioned and also help delay flowering in the spring.

If I didnt have to fertilize a fall application would probably work best. Might need a bit of topping during the growing season.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a little bit of everything. Got Leaves, Wood Chips, Chicken Manuer and Compost.

Got one Bin full of Ready to go Compost and filling another.

Our Son wanted to know what I had in the Bag? Shredded Leaves.

Why not put them on the Compost Bin? Because I'm going to use them for mulch.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have wood chips on top of the cloth. It’s work for keeping the weed down. Because of cloth, it would last longer but won’t help improving the soil much, correct?

Ask a Question