Most Visually Striking Trees Picture Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
For some fun, and to hopefully inspire gardeners living around the world, I decided to start a special thread dedicated to showcasing the weird and wonderful visage of the world's most visually striking tree species. Although I normally focus on the endangered trees, I'll make an exception here; this thread is for all trees that are exceptional or out of the ordinary. It is however unfortunate that many trees that happen to be endangered or extinct in the wild also fit into this category. I'll begin by starting with our first featured tree - one which is a very appropriate poster child for the topic, and widely recognized too...

The African Umbrella Thorn Acacia Tree

( Vachellia tortilis )

iu

If you have ever opened up a book about sub-Saharan Africa or watched a nature film about African Wildlife, then you would be sure to see this stunningly picturesque tree standing majestically in the background. Unlike the more massive mainland Baobab which is also very iconic, this tree isn't identified very often by name, though it is every bit as imposing as its larger contemporary. The "Umbrella Thorn Acacia" is the tree that the public most widely associates with the African Continent as a whole. It is also nearly identical in its superficial appearance to the closely related, and less common species Vachellia erioloba, which replaces this tree further south toward Zambia. As a member of the Fabaceae, it has a very distinguished pedigree being related to familiar favorites within the Mimosoid clade of the legumes. Distantly related to the American Honey Locust ( Gleditsia triacanthos ), this A-list star celebrity of Africa's tropical dry forests apparently has similar properties to its seeds and foliage characteristics. I am happy to report that this species is still widely abundant and shows no signs of becoming endangered any time soon. As its common name would suggest, it does unfortunately have a dark side to it with its large, heavy thorns. Fallen branches with these thorns following a storm could make this tree particularly problematic for a landscape setting, though this doesn't prevent it from being just as beautiful to look at. I cannot help but love this tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1612947779862.png
The major oak in which Robin Hood used to hide in Sherwood forest according to legend - although I think it may have only been an acorn then :giggle:

Good idea for a new thread @The Preserver (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

Rainbow Eucalyptus or Rainbow Gum

( Eucalyptus deglupta )

iu

iu

iu

So named for the bright colorful streaks in its bark that look like actual paint from a palette. It literally looks like an artist chose to make the tree the subject of their splatter art, and many of the photos ( probably altered ) even make them appear that they're almost bioluminescent with those loud colors. Reportedly, its unusual bark color has proven harder to duplicate in cultivation, which is very unfortunate. I'll venture to guess that it probably has something to do with the soil culture of its native habitat. This amazing Eucalyptid is native to the tropical rainforests of New Guinea and the Philippines, and prefers conditions on the wetter side. It is also unfortunately listed as vulnerable on the IUCN website: https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/61911798/61911825

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

A Tale of Two Cedars

Alaskan Yellow Cedar

( Xanthocyparis nootkatensis )

formerly Chamaecyparis or Cupressus/Callitropsis nootkatensis

iu

iu

When people in North America hear the word "cedar", it usually conjures images of coniferous evergreen trees superficially resembling the one in the above images generally, and this one iconic species in the above pictures specifically. Sporting the classic look associated with a Jack London story setting, it is characterized by its dramatic drooping fronds of overlapping scale-like foliage, and small globular cones. Trees in this family often have a pleasant aromatic scent to their foliage. Although it belongs to a large group that got stuck with the name "cedar", it actually belongs to the Cypress family - and yes, it is actually somewhat related to the very bizarre looking Swamp Cypresses, though it may not look it; I thought I would clarify that before anyone asked. It is also noted for being one of the parent species of the hybrid Leyland Cypress ( Cupressocyparis x Leylandii ), and by some strange quirk of fate is also thought to be related to the Vietnamese Golden Cypress ( Xanthocyparis vietnamensis ) - a recently discovered conifer growing in the wet, remote highlands of Indochina; the latter is also listed as endangered while X. nootkatensis enjoys its status as a species of least concern. Xanthocyparis nootkatensis can be found in cultivation at specialty conifer nurseries. A true beauty of the northern polar forests.

Cedar of Lebanon

( Cedrus libani )

iu

iu

One of the ancient world's most legendary trees, it has been mentioned in literature since the Neolithic Age. It is native to the primeval Cedar Mountains in the near East, and was the place where Gilgamesh journeyed in one of his quests. Its lumber was highly prized, and commonly used for ship building. If the written accounts are accurate, the trees standing many millennia ago were far larger than any specimens that are alive today, possibly rivaling the colossal Pacific Douglas Firs and Coastal Redwoods in size. Though there are a few other representatives of its genus, the magnificent Cedar of Lebanon is often perceived as the principle and foremost member of the True Cedars. Unlike the Alaskan Cedar, it is actually in the Pine Family. Its needles grow in whorled, burred clusters resembling a Larch, and the cones are erect and oblong shaped, much like a True Fir. The crown typically flattens with age, sometimes becoming multi-trunked and forming a graceful tiered shape with its foliage. It is related to Cedrus atlantica and Cedrus deodorus, both of which are much more common in cultivation for some inexplicable reason. It is unfortunately listed as vulnerable by IUCN: https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/42305/2970821

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

Chinese Swamp Cypress

( Glyptostrobus pensilis )

iu
iu

iu

800px-Glyptostrobus_pensilis_-_Oregon_Garden_-_Silverton%2C_Oregon_-_DSC00137.jpg

iu

iu

I wasn't going to do another one today, it was an afterthought. Related to the famous American Bald Cypress ( Taxodium distichum ), this tree of the Orient prefers wet subtropical waterways like the Mexican Montezuma Cypress ( Taxodium mucronatum ). Like the former and latter, fossils of its relatives go way back to the Mesozoic. This is a tree that time forgot. It is a deciduous conifer that sheds its leaves/needles, a trait which is rare among conifers. It has the distinct swollen base that its relatives are well known for, and is also known to develop cypress knees in the water. It was considered by botanists to be distinct enough from the others to warrant placing it in its own genus. It is now the sole surviving member of Glyptostrobus, and is listed as critically endangered by the IUCN. If you live in a subtropical location, and are wanting a Bald Cypress or Montezuma Cypress for your yard, please consider buying one of these instead. You'll probably have to get it from an obscure boutique nursery, but your neighbors will appreciate it though, and so will the earth.

https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/32312/177795446

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptostrobus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Meet New Zealand's National Tree

Silver "Ponga" Tree Fern

( Alsophila dealbata )

Synonym: Cyathea dealbata

iu

iu
iu

530289046_cb9a45633a_z.jpg

Silver-fern.jpg

5406568171_8326c03536_z.jpg

451px-NZ_flag_design_Silver_Fern_%28Black%2C_White_%26_Blue%29_by_Kyle_Lockwood.svg.png

Is it a palm? Is it a cycad? Nope...something far more primitive! In fact, it actually has more in common with the long extinct Sigillaria. A very ancient holdover from the Devonian and Carboniferous Ages, the "Ponga" as it is known colloquially to New Zealand natives, holds the distinction of being the only surviving arborescent tree fern to be adopted as the national tree of a modern country. There was even a rejected design for a new national banner that included the silhouette of one of the tree's fronds. Personally, I actually think the rejected design would have made New Zealand's flag more distinct from the others. It is very interesting that out of all the fascinating and enormous trees New Zealand has to offer, this one ended up being the national symbol. Although the tree ferns as a group bear a heavy resemblance to palms and cycads superficially, there are a few cosmetic features that will usually give them away: typically their trunks are more narrow and their fronds are usually even more disproportionately large compared to the rest of the tree; their new growth, called "croziers" also have a different way that they form and uncurl atop the crown. Even the fronds themselves often have a finer lace-like texture to them. The trunk of the tree fern itself is actually just an extension of the rhizome emerging from the ground and is not considered truly woody. Typically growing as an understory tree in a forest, tree ferns only grow in places where moisture is abundant, and most of them hate direct exposure to sunlight. For these reasons, growing them in a garden is reputedly very difficult if they are not totally happy with the amount of ambient moisture and filtered sunlight. Tree ferns generally are well worth a try for gardeners who are looking for something more challenging. Unfortunately, there isn't as much available literature on these amazing plants or the respective conservation status of each species in the wild. Alsophila dealbata seems to be doing well though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsophila_dealbata

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

The Japanese Umbrella Pine

( Sciadopitys verticillata )

sciadopitys-verticillata-db.jpg

iu

sciadopitys-verticillata-japanese-umbrella-pine-with-magnolia-012515-028.jpg
sciadopitys-verticillata-japanese-umbrella-pine-before-120614-090.jpg

iu
IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg
d165-sci-vert-umb-f-cd-1730-73.jpg

S.-verticillata.jpg

800px-Flore_des_serres_v14_249a.jpg

This unique evergreen tree that is native to Southern Japan is a real dinosaur. Although nowhere near the largest conifer, it is certainly one of the most fascinating to look at. Despite its common name, it is not a pine at all, but is actually the sole surviving member of its own family which appeared in the fossil record around 230-220 million years ago. Having no close living relatives, some botanists have gone as far as to propose upgrading the family to an entirely separate order of conifers. We should feel very blessed that there is even one extant member left of this very ancient lineage. It is currently listed as near threatened by IUCN. Prefers very wet conditions with some shade. Be sure to check out Amy Campion's entry on this species:

http://amycampion.com/japanese-umbrella-pine-sciadopitys-a-living-fossil/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

Queensland Bottle Tree

( Brachychiton rupestris )

iu

iu
iu

Brachychiton_rupestris_Queensland_Bottle_Tree_%E1%83%91%E1%83%9D%E1%83%97%E1%83%9A%E1%83%98%E1%83%A1_%E1%83%AE%E1%83%94.JPG

iu

iu

The Queensland Bottle Tree is often planted as an ornamental and a shade tree in its homeland of Australia. Endemic to Australia, Brachychiton is considered a sister taxon to the Baobabs ( Adansonia ) within the Malvaceae Family. Like their famous cousins, they look very primitive at first glance - easily recognized for their large swollen, pachycaulic trunks which almost superficially resemble those of a swamp cypress; however, they are in fact angiosperms and dicotyledons. As a group, members of this genus tend to prefer arid tropical dry forests rather than waterways or rainforests. These bizarre ( but very cute ) trees use their massive trunks to store water. Many species are known to have very showy flowers when in bloom. Historically, they have had many uses, including hollowing the trunks to use as shelter. Assuming they are like Baobabs, at the end of their life cycles, many of them will simply shrivel up into empty husks of their former selves. Since they likely do not leave tree rings, there is no way to accurately determine their age using traditional methods. Kurrajongs and Baobabs are among my personal favorites of all the dicots. Brachychitons are doing pretty well as a group, and only a handful of species are listed as endangered or vulnerable.

Australian Pink Flame Tree ( aka "Lacebark Kurrajong")

( Brachychiton discolor )

brachychiton-discolor-tree-4.jpg

56d8d2ceecb12.JPG

56d8d2e57e8c6.JPG

queensland-lacebark-brachychiton-discolor-10.jpg

The Pink Flame Tree, also native to Australia, is a popular species of Kurrajong with bright pink flower blossoms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

Narrow Leaf Araucaria

( Araucaria subulata )

21Araucaria-subulata-D.jpg

2vue-sur-merD.jpg

file.php

22A.-subulata-c%C3%B4ne-femelleD.jpg

Conifers of the Araucariaceae appear in the fossil record around 220 million years ago, roughly at the same time as the less successful Sciadopityaceae. They once had a very wide cosmopolitan distribution, but are now restricted almost entirely to the southern hemisphere. Many species of Araucarians were historically used for lumber, and many also produce edible nuts. All of them, save for one species, are strictly tropical. It would be very hard for me to say which family of conifers are my favorite, but what I do know for sure is that the Araucarians rank very high on my list. They just look so alien, like from another planet completely. The species I decided to feature here is one of the lesser known ones. From the island of New Caledonia, A. subulata is one of the largest endemic species there. It resembles the famous Norfolk Island Pine (also an Araucarian) in its overall shape. A little known fact is that over half of all the world's extant species of Araucarians occur only in New Caledonia. There are numerous other species on the island that are perhaps even more distinct in their appearance than this one but, for some reason I just happen to like this one a little more - I'm not sure why, I just do. Maybe it's the perfect symmetry that it exhibits in the photos? Either way, it is truly a beautiful tree. A. subulata is currently listed as near threatened by IUCN...need to start taking better care of those forests people!

https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/30991/9590110

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

"Madagascar Palm"

( Pachypodium lamerei )

iu

iu

250px-Pachypodium_lamieri1MTFL.jpg

Commonly marketed as the "Madagascar Palm", it is not really a palm at all, but a member of the dogbane family. It is a thorny succulent native to Madagascar's Spiny Desert. Although currently listed as a species of least concern, its numbers are decreasing in the wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

The Bois Bouchon

( Retrophyllum minus )

iu

4572741874_9bbdf36956_o.jpg

minus04.jpg

minus06.jpg

Another native of New Caledonia, this species belongs to the very large family of conifers called the Podocarpaceae - tall, yew-like trees that mostly grow in the tropical southern hemisphere. The family as a whole is generally said to have appeared some 240 million years ago. They are regarded as the most ancient extant lineage of conifers in the world. Some common names for various members of this group are "Yellowwood" and "Fern Pines". Podocarps are perhaps the most visually diverse, taking on characteristics that fit the trappings that other conifer lineages are better known for, and sometimes almost mimicking them perfectly. Probably the only thing that prevents me from liking the Podocarps more than I do, is the fact that many members of Podocarpaceae are highly toxic. Some species have been known to emit dangerous levels of gas from their foliage, causing symptoms reminiscent of radiation poisoning. There is a chemotherapy drug that is derived from a species of Podocarp. The featured species above is actually one of the smaller members in a family of giants. This bizarre shrub inhabits New Caledonia's rivers, and features a trunk with a swollen base that gives it a vague resemblance to the swamp cypresses. Like other Podocarps, it produces fleshy fruit-like seeds in place of cones. I am unsure of how toxic the fruit of this species is to dogs and cats but, I suspect probably very. Although I wouldn't be too keen on the idea of having one of these in my yard (for obvious reasons), this species would be one of my first choices if I did decide to get one - it's really cute. Despite these facts that make the Podocarps less appealing, I have actually taken a liking to them for their impressive visage and long colorful history. The Bois Bouchon is listed as endangered on IUCN.

https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/34108/9837487

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

The Celery-Top Pine

( Phyllocladus trichomanoides )

iu
iu

iu

iu

iu

A gymnosperm that is considered a conifer, there has historically been much contention about where exactly this bizarre tree would fit on the cladogram chart. Some botanists have even proposed separating it into its own family. Today, Phyllocladus is generally included among the Podocarpaceae, as a highly derived form. The featured species pictured here, is from New Zealand - Australasia being the holy land for conifers of the southern hemisphere. Although there are other members of this genus, this one ( together with the less common P. toatoa ) are the most visually impressive. The species has a bushy, neatly tiered, semi-open pyramidal growth habit, with branches that gracefully arc upward when they are young - which slightly resembles the silhouette of the American Eastern White Pine ( Pinus strobus ) or a horsetail plant. The leaves of its foliage, which bear a conspicuous resemblance to those of the Ginkgo biloba, grow in whorls of pinnate compound shoots. Its seeds are sheathed in a fleshy, aril-like coating. As the tree matures, it sheds its lower branches, producing smooth straight trunks that are knot-free. Historically, P. trichomanoides was one of the favored timber trees of New Zealand, known for its great elasticity and strength. The Maori extracted tannin from its bark to make a red dye. I do not know the threat level posed by their phytotoxins, but it is truly a gorgeous tree; indeed, one that I would not mind having in my yard if I lived in the right climate, discounting the possibility that they are dangerous to people and animals. This is a real favorite of mine here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States

The Blue Powder Coated Cycad

( Cycas pruinosa )

Cycas_pruinosa_0.jpg

189_082.jpg

189_081.jpg

189_083.jpg

Cycas_pruinosa_2.jpg

Any discussion about strange and unusual trees would not be complete without the oddities that are called cycads. Recently there was a story about a report on how all of the extant species of cycad only diverged in an evolutionary explosion some 10 million years ago - which explained that although cycads as a whole are living fossils, almost none of the living species go back 65mya. It has been said that the genus Bowenia may represent a possible exception to this rule, though they are far less impressive to look at. Contrary to popular belief about these primordial gymnosperms, not all cycads have trunks; many species have subterranean stems and are called "acaulescent". Personally, I much prefer the classic Flintstones style cycads with the big fat trunks. Choosing a species to be featured here was a challenge since there are so many good ones to choose from. I eventually settled on this amazing blue cycad that is native to Australia's Northwest Corner because of the abundance of great photos that are apparently in the public domain. Like the American Blue Spruce, not all individuals possess the blue color - some are green. The intense blue foliage on some of these specimens in the photos is reminiscent of some of the forms of the famous Encephalartos Cycads of South Africa's Eastern Cape. The above species was actually only recently named and described by Australian botanist John Maconochie in the late 1970s. Thankfully, this species is not considered to be under any threat at the moment. An important thing to remember about cycads, is that they are deadly poisonous to most mammals ( including humans ). Animals should be prevented from chewing on their fleshy seeds, foliage, or trunks. A little known fact, is that cycads actually became very unpopular with cattle ranchers in Australia because of the harmful effects that cycad poisoning had on their livestock; this condition was colloquially referred to as "the zamia staggers" - the phytotoxins in cycads would cause degeneration in the spinal cord which would lead to permanent and irreversible paralysis in the hind legs of the animals, and was often fatal. This is the type of thing that will cause cycad growers to lose sleep. For this reason, I would recommend keeping cycads in the walled-off backyard only. Despite their toxic properties, primitive tribes were known to use the starch from the seeds of many cycad species to make bread-like foods; to do this, they pounded the seeds and soaked them for about a week, changing the water every day. This tradition led to cycads being nicknamed "bread palms". I haven't heard anything about cycads emitting noxious gas into the air on the same scale that some of the Podocarps have been known to do, though there have been studies suggesting a possible correlation between long term exposure to cycad pollen and the gradual development of dementia in some parts of the world, like the island of Guam. I have actually read that it has become common for thieves to dig up people's cycads to be sold off in the black market - another reason not to have them in front of the house. The name pruinosa refers to the "powder coated" look of the fronds.

Ask a Question