May 2015 Random Garden Pix

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A nice assortment of plants there Chanell! (y) What is the plant with the yellow flower, third pic from bottom please?

Thanks! It's a dwarf coreopsis.

All very interesting but it's the plumbago I really want. You're doing a great job bringing these back to life. TLC is obviously very effective.

The poor things are holding their own in the heat. I was thinking to divide them in September, but maybe I'll just leave them as they are. I acquired a small white a few days ago in a 4" pot.

A great variety there and more to come I guess. Waiting. :)

LOL, it's an obsession! I recently acquired a mojito elephant ear, moses in a boat, little ruby alternanthera, a different coreopsis, scaevola, stefanotis...

I love that these plants are mostly "rescues" and sale buys.

I'm jealous of those of you who can grow year around, or close to it. On the other hand, I loathe hot, humid weather and love winter and having four distinct seasons. If I could afford a heated greenhouse however...

I may be getting a new greenhouse, finally. I would rather be hot than cold, but lately it's been heatstroke hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Everything looks so wonderful, and I am sure they will be all bloomed soon with amazing beautiful flowers. I would love to live in mild temperature all year round just to watch things grow :)

I've been looking specifically for cold hardy perennials. I have blue butterfly pincushion, coneflower, salvia...

I like your assortment of plants. It is still cool here at night, I hae not started with any plants yet. I did set out a few plants to let them get hardy during the cool nights. I think we have another week for these cool nights, I look forward to the warmer weather so I can start more plants.

I wish it was cool here at night! Can't wait for fall and drier air! I love the long growing season, but with the new job and less time for gardening, I meed more easy care plants. I also have to figure out how to create some shade in my yard.

Looks good, looks like you are having fun gardening.

Thanks! I haven't spent as much time at it and I really have to get things back on track. As soon as things cool down a bit I'm going to redesign everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All your plants are absolutely lovely, ChanellG!:) The pansies look adorable, I also like your beautiful plumbago.
How are your miniature roses doing?:)

Thanks, @claudine! The miniature roses are great! They are blooming all over the place. I gave everything some Osmecote recently and it seems to have helped.

Amazing!!!! You got a pretty neat collection right there :) By the way, why did you combine garden #1 and #2? Did something happen? Your plants are looking great, would love to see all of them :love: Best of luck with your new plants! I hope they thrive, just like the others.

Yes, the person I created garden #2 for moved to an apartment building with no space for plants. The edible plants have just about tanked; I'm back to focusing on herbs and flowers. Real excited about the fruit that's still living, and last year's tomato is still going too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You might want to think about adding a Swamp hibiscus to your garden for the hummers and butterflies, There also called swamp mallow ,Texas star hibiscus, I've had more butterflies and hummers this year after my red one bloomed.

Reaction score
Thanks, @claudine! The miniature roses are great! They are blooming all over the place. I gave everything some Osmecote recently and it seems to have helped.

Yes, the person I created garden #2 for moved to an apartment building with no space for plants. The edible plants have just about tanked; I'm back to focusing on herbs and flowers. Real excited about the fruit that's still living, and last year's tomato is still going too!

That is great, ChannelG :) I think I'll do the same and focus mostly on herbs and just a couple edibles next year, I can't wait to share all those pictures with you all :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
003.JPG
003.JPG
This is what stands out in my garden at the moment.
It is two weeks since the tornado that visited us leaving behind loads of work for us to do.

The work is all finished. 7 loads of stuff cleared.

The jack fruit tree in particular has left behind memories. This tree always yielded in plenty. The orphans got the best of it. But in the last two years the Institution did not take them. They had problems. After distributing to the neighbours, friends and family the rest were used as compost. And that is the reason why I do not feel remorse that nature took it away. I still have 3 more.

Strangely all what was taken away has been to our relief. The water tank that fell gave us an opportunity to raise the height of the stand and put the other tank there which now has better force.

My positive attitude played a huge role in accepting what others would call disaster

003.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to hear of your experience Grouie, it seems that you are safe and that's good to know. :) In Britain tornadoes are virtually unheard of but we do have gale force winds during the winter months that cause damage.

Will you have the stump removed and replace the tree with something else?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I'm sorry to hear of your experience Grouie, it seems that you are safe and that's good to know. :) In Britain tornadoes are virtually unheard of but we do have gale force winds during the winter months that cause damage.

Will you have the stump removed and replace the tree with something else?
I gave it a name and I am not sure if it was a tornado after all.
I will remove the stumps. I have an almond sapling in my garden which just happened to be there. I shall plant that one.

Reaction score
The pictures are great! I love taking pictures. I especially love taking pictures of nature. I see you love gardening just as much as I do. This year I did not do a lot of gardening but in the future I plan on doing it more. In the past I have been know to have huge gardening. I love plants and all kinds of flowers.

Reaction score
Woah, so sorry for your loss :( It sounds like it was a really vicious tornado, but i'm very glad you are safe and sound! Let's hope you guys don't have to experience something like that ever again, it sounds so dangerous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Grouie, it must have been a very scary experience! I'm happy you're safe. There are no tornadoes in my area, but we lost a very old pear tree during the last storm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is great, ChannelG :) I think I'll do the same and focus mostly on herbs and just a couple edibles next year, I can't wait to share all those pictures with you all :)

It's so much easier! I did buy some seasonal flowers that were sale plants, but I'm trying to plan more with cold hardiness in mind. I also need to come up with a plan for summer as I have no real shade in my yard, other than under a deciduous tree that loses it's leaves in winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You might want to think about adding a Swamp hibiscus to your garden for the hummers and butterflies, There also called swamp mallow ,Texas star hibiscus, I've had more butterflies and hummers this year after my red one bloomed.

I have a Texas star! It's blooms are red and I am waiting for someone with seed to have white blooming ones available. I got it for a boggy area of the yard and because it is cold hardy. It's full of blooms right now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...It is two weeks since the tornado that visited us leaving behind loads of work for us to do.

The work is all finished. 7 loads of stuff cleared...

I don't envy you that at all. You should have seen what our city looked like after the floodwaters of hurricane Katrina. 80% had been under water. We started having small tornadoes the following winter and one actually came through my neighborhood the year after that! First time ever in N.O. It was insane!

Glad you're okay and able to put things back together.

Reaction score
It's so much easier! I did buy some seasonal flowers that were sale plants, but I'm trying to plan more with cold hardiness in mind. I also need to come up with a plan for summer as I have no real shade in my yard, other than under a deciduous tree that loses it's leaves in winter.

That sounds so nice,minus the deciduous tree of course! We got one that is just like that at home, it's so annoying because that tree is so tall and seems to attract the birds from the whole neighborhood. I hope yours doesn't give you that kind of problem. I'm looking forward to seeing more new pics of your garden (y):LOL:

Ask a Question