Making A New Worm Bin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for the link. The bucket process is very interesting isn't it?

Do you mean bokashi? I was gung ho to try that since you could compost meats and fats, but I don't eat meat so it's not a real priority for me. I still like the idea of having access to a finished product as soon as two weeks, but I have had good success with my outdoor bins and the worms and there's less work involved since I don't have to add anything special to get the process started.

Reaction score
Do you mean bokashi? I was gung ho to try that since you could compost meats and fats, but I don't eat meat so it's not a real priority for me. I still like the idea of having access to a finished product as soon as two weeks, but I have had good success with my outdoor bins and the worms and there's less work involved since I don't have to add anything special to get the process started.

On one of the homesteading forums I belong to there is a fellow who has mounds of success with his piles. He has a hot pile going constantly and I am talking huge hills of goodys just all piled together. He honestly uses a bulldozer to get everything together. He said that you can compost anything and that he has even composted a dead cow once. I just went to find it and they no longer have it on a sticky. I will try to find it in the archives. Well that was a no go too because I guess the site crashed and they lost alot of their files or something. :oops: Oh well. I will try to find it elsewhere online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I guess it's all about what kind of footprint you want to have. Every time someone buries a pet in the back yard, they are essentially composting it. One method of soil preparation is to bury the kitchen scraps you would compost in long trenches and then turn the soil the following year for planting. Some processes work faster than others,and everything comes down to a matter of scale.

Ask a Question