Is this a loquat

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I call these kumquats. They are from a small tree like a lemon tree family, and are deliciously tarty. I always eat the whole thing including skin.

Loquats or Japanese plums, just don't call it a kumquat - FreshPlaza
www.freshplaza.com/article/.../Loquats-or-Japanese-plums,-just-dont-call-it-a-kumqua...

11 Apr 2014 - Loquats or Japanese plums, just don't call it a kumquat. The loquat tree is getting ready for its 15 minutes of fame now because of its prolific fruit production, which can be used in sauces, jam and pie filling, or eaten off the limb. Unlike the citrus fruit, the fuzzy yellow loquat is kin to apples and pears.

Hope it helps.

Sorry couldn't paste a pic of loquats

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...2KLbAhUCOsAKHVkUA70Q_AUICigB&biw=1097&bih=511

Kumquats i.e. those you have uploaded, look exactly like a lemon inside. https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...KLbAhUEKMAKHZDABEgQMwg8KAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...LbAhWhD8AKHeasBdcQMwjDASgBMAE&iact=mrc&uact=8

Last edited:
Reaction score
I call these kumquats. They are from a small tree like a lemon tree family, and are deliciously tarty. I always eat the whole thing including skin.

Loquats or Japanese plums, just don't call it a kumquat - FreshPlaza
www.freshplaza.com/article/.../Loquats-or-Japanese-plums,-just-dont-call-it-a-kumqua...

11 Apr 2014 - Loquats or Japanese plums, just don't call it a kumquat. The loquat tree is getting ready for its 15 minutes of fame now because of its prolific fruit production, which can be used in sauces, jam and pie filling, or eaten off the limb. Unlike the citrus fruit, the fuzzy yellow loquat is kin to apples and pears.

Hope it helps.
Can tea be made from the leaves?

Last edited by a moderator:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No idea! Was wondering why it took 8 hours to see your post! I have never heard of making tea with their leaves, but then again, I have never heard of a lot of things. Do you like the flavour of kumquats? I love them. Very rarely do I get to eat them.

Reaction score
No idea! Was wondering why it took 8 hours to see your post! I have never heard of making tea with their leaves, but then again, I have never heard of a lot of things. Do you like the flavour of kumquats? I love them. Very rarely do I get to eat them.
Assuming these are loquats and not kumquats, I just tried them for the first time and I do like them. I ate them whole, they are very enjoyable. From what little I’ve read, they and in particular, their leavs, are said to have some medicinal properties, which drew me to them in the first place. I wanted to be sure they were actually loquats, before attempting to make tea.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Ken Graham They are KUMQUATS! Don't mess with the leaves please. Loquats don't have shinny oily skin. They taste cistrusy as they are from cistrus family.

Reaction score
@Ken Graham They are KUMQUATS! Don't mess with the leaves please. Loquats don't have shinny oily skin. They taste cistrusy as they are from cistrus family.
What I have been eating, definitely have a citrus flavor and texture

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Loquats are a bit bland compared with these zingy fellows! Have you got a tree please? The leaves are shiny like lemon leaves.

Ask a Question