Help me with my new Loquat tree.

Reaction score
A dear friend brought me some unusual but delicious fruit. Loquat, I was told. I raved so much about the fruit, my friend brought me a tree they had started for me. I have had it in about 6 months and it has grown from a twig to about a 3 foot 1 inch trunk with a cap of fuzzy leaves.

I really want to surprise my friends and get mine going. I am in Southern California in partially sandy soil. Anyone have any tips or tricks with my unusual gift?

Reaction score
Loquats are beautiful plants and look good as ornamental trees, as well as supplying you with delicious fruits.

I live in in climate similar to yours and I too, have a young Loquat tree, which was given to me just under a year ago, by a friend.
Initially, like you I had no idea how to care for it and this is what I have found out so far.

There are many varieties of Loquats, all having slightly different needs, I have no idea what variety mine is, nor does the person who gave it to me, so have followed the basic guidelines, which so far have worked.

Most varieties are evergreen or at least semi-evergreen, they will grow in any soil so long as it is extremely well drained.
They require full sun and a sheltered spot, as wind both hot and cold can scorch the leaves, which does no harm as the leaves grow back quickly, just makes them look unsightly for a while, which I found out, when mine was attacked by a whirlwind this summer.
Watering - water frequently in the first year of planting, but once the tree is 3 to 4 years old, only water during fruit development and prolonged dry spells.
Fertilize every Spring with a good all round fertilizer.
Pruning - these trees can grow up to 25ft tall, therefore if growing for fruit needs to be kept to a height, that makes it easy to collect the fruit, say around 6 to 10 ft tall and the branches need to be pruned once a year, so that they are no longer than 3 ft in length.
Pests - more likely in humid conditions and if planted in an area with grass or weeds around the trunk.
Loquat trees attract bees and birds and you may well find, that you have to bag the fruit clusters, in order to protect them from the birds.

Hope this helps and if you find any further tips, would love to hear them.

Reaction score
Wow you are a wealth of information. I wonder when it will first bear fruit? I moved to this place about a year and a half ago and I heard at one time it was all farms and horses out here. Everything I have planted grows to mammoth proportions. Keep checking this thread I am sure we may get more excellent replies such as yours.

The fruit is so delicious and exotic...amazing I never heard of them before I got the tree as a gift. Thanks again for your reply.

Reaction score
You're welcome and sorry, forgot the most important part, didn't I, when to expect fruit !!

All the different varieties fruit at slightly different times, but only by a month or so either way and of course the region they grow in, also contributes to when they fruit.
The majority of Loquats will bear their first fruits, when the tree is a round 2 to 3 years old. You will see the fruit start to form during the winter months, after their beautiful display of blossoms, and the fruit will be ready to harvest around May to early June, you are best leaving the fruits on the tree, until they are fully ripe, as once picked Loquats unlike other fruits, don't ripen any further.
I too live in an area, which was, many, many years ago a crop growing area and although the soil doesn't look to be up to much, find that everything grows to mammoth proportions - maybe we'll both have giant Loquat trees, just keep remembering to keep the height down, so that you don't miss any of that delicious fruit. :)

Reaction score
Japanese Plum or Loquat tree

Japanese-Plum-or-Loquat.jpg

The flowers

Eriobotrya_japonica_flowers.jpg

The fruit

8601603691_8d7e5866e8_z.jpg

Justusforus - as your tree is still very young, thought you might like to see some pictures, of just how magnificent it is going to look as it gets older.

Ask a Question