Lillies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I am an amateur gardener seeking advice about lillies.

My lillies blossomed for a couple of weeks and now all the petals have fallen off. The lillies were in an enclosure to protect them from any wind/breeze, so it is not the wind that has blown the petals off. I understand that the petals will not grow again this year, which is a shame.

My query is, next year how can I increase the length of time the petals stay on the flower?

Eddie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
you can't, they have a built in genetic timer specific to the plant. just research and plant other lilies in a mixture, ones that bloom at different intervals so you will have a "Lilly type" always in that area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @EddieH
1565464057962.png
-to the forum. Afraid I'm not clever with lilies, and stopped growing them when they got covered in those red lily beetles. We spotted a good tip on Gardeners World though last evening about making a tea out of the leaves of the curry plant to spray on the lily leaves. Evidently those beetles don't like curry! Maybe I will try again :unsure:

What sort of lilies are you growing? We do have some day lilies here which are tough and spread like billyo, and they die off eah day - lose all the petals as the name suggests, then they have a whole new batch of flowers eah day for ages...they are called Hemerocallis.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
@EddieH, There really is no way to control the timing of the petals on the lily flowers. I have planted numerous lilies for customers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @EddieH View attachment 57306 -to the forum. Afraid I'm not clever with lilies, and stopped growing them when they got covered in those red lily beetles. We spotted a good tip on Gardeners World though last evening about making a tea out of the leaves of the curry plant to spray on the lily leaves. Evidently those beetles don't like curry! Maybe I will try again :unsure:

What sort of lilies are you growing? We do have some day lilies here which are tough and spread like billyo, and they die off eah day - lose all the petals as the name suggests, then they have a whole new batch of flowers eah day for ages...they are called Hemerocallis.
Hello Tetters. I am not sure what lillies I have. Attempted to grow them for the last couple of years but unfortunately I no longer have the package. All I know is that they are white. Have to wait a few months now until the stems sort of 'hibernate' and then remove them from soil until next year. I will plant them at intervals next year to get the flowers for a longer period.

Eddie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I don't think that will work with Lilies @EddieH - it's not quite like sowing lettuce. May I suggest that you grow something different with your lilies that will flower before they start and after they ''go over'' so that you get a succession of colour.
If you visit a nursery at least once a month and buy a plant you like (perennial) that is in flower at the time, you will be certain of a display all year round :happy:..........just a suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Afraid I don't think that will work with Lilies @EddieH - it's not quite like sowing lettuce. May I suggest that you grow something different with your lilies that will flower before they start and after they ''go over'' so that you get a succession of colour.
If you visit a nursery at least once a month and buy a plant you like (perennial) that is in flower at the time, you will be certain of a display all year round :happy:..........just a suggestion.
@Tetters, An excellent suggestion! Remember to inquire if the perennial is for Sun or Shade.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you want lillies over a longer period then you need to plant different species. I have lilium regale types starting about Easter leading onto L henryi that is flowering now. There are some species that flower in autumn.
The alternative could be to keep some of the bulbs chilled until planted later in the year.

Ask a Question