Liberals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welp, this really well describes why religion and politics are best left alone in some venues...work and professional relationships, neighborly relationships, and, yes, special-interest forums such as this one!

I have neighbors and co-workers/clients who I vehemently disagree with, politically. But get along with extremely well with otherwise so it seems wisest just to "not go there" and "agree to disagree." No point getting argumentative...really I don't think many people are truly undecided here in the US right now. Most have their minds made up and aren't going to be swayed by arguments...so there's really no point.

So far, one single post led to fighting, posters putting others on ignore, admin getting stress and flack, a valuable long-time poster threatening to leave...

I vote admin put a ban on religious/politically sensitive topics. Just as most of us quite sensibly do in our real and professional lives. No place here imho.

The first amendment does not apply to privately owned online fora (or just about any privately owned situation), by the way. ;) To confused posters, I suggest you read up on the actual first amendment and what it actually means. Not what you think it means, apparently...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
So far, one single post led to fighting, posters putting others on ignore, admin getting stress and flack, a valuable long-time poster threatening to leave...

So right @Beth_B, i hadn't thought of the path of destruction left behind until you pointed it out...include long-time friendships in tatters. Really was it worth it? One other garden forum i happened upon had a General Chat forum with "no politics, no religion" right on the forum intro so anytime someone wanted to post to that forum it would be visible. @CrazyConure makes a good point about how guests would respond if they read the now defunct thread. New members (myself included) read some of the threads to discover the level of respect that posters have for one another, the value of information shared, the level of participation and that is what brings them to join this site (myself included). I expect the searchers reading the now defunct thread would move on to the next site in a hurry. I think BIZ made a sound choice and should not fret over it. I know how difficult is was for Becky and hopefully we will not loose the "Bees".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codger22

Latest Threads