Liberals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry that I had to delete the topic - I had received a number of complaints and after lengthy behind the scenes discussions it seemed like the best course of action. It puts me in a very difficult position - I was happy for the topic to remain, and I didn't see anything wrong with the discussion... but at the end of the day this is a gardening forum, and politics and religion are always going to be contentious issues where someone ends up getting upset. This is why I took the decision to remove the topic, but with hindsight it may have perhaps been better to lock the topic rather than to remove it. The topic was not removed because I disagreed with the content, I want to be clear on that.

I hope you accept my apologies for how this has been handled - I was trying to keep everyone happy, but it seems that it is an impossible task when topics such as politics are concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sorry that I had to delete the topic - I had received a number of complaints and after lengthy behind the scenes discussions it seemed like the best course of action. It puts me in a very difficult position - I was happy for the topic to remain, and I didn't see anything wrong with the discussion... but at the end of the day this is a gardening forum, and politics and religion are always going to be contentious issues where someone ends up getting upset. This is why I took the decision to remove the topic, but with hindsight it may have perhaps been better to lock the topic rather than to remove it. The topic was not removed because I disagreed with the content, I want to be clear on that.

I hope you accept my apologies for how this has been handled - I was trying to keep everyone happy, but it seems that it is an impossible task when topics such as politics are concerned.
I just hope @headfullofbees isn't gone for good. He is a wealth of information

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I don't recommend leaving. Look at it from the other side, politics was always a heated topic. Admins didn't delete it because of you, per say, but they removed it because EVERYONE has their own opinions about it and there is just too much that can go wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just for the record, Becky and zigs, I think you do a marvelous and even-handed job of moderating here! That said, I agree that locking it would have been a better option. *

I belong to an almost no-holds-barred polotical forum (no, NOT reddit). :eek: And reserve my political and whatever commentary for there. I come here for gardening and related "light" topics. :)

*I did find the Bayer/Monsanto topic interesting, just not the politicization of it. ( And no, I was not one of the forum members who reported it!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Becky, I don't see that you have anything to apologize for in removing a topic. You have developed a gardening forum with wide-ranging and interesting discussions; the members are for the most part kind and helpful; and political rants have no place here. I recently placed two members on "ignore" (a marvelous feature which I wish more forums had) because gardening forums are not where I go to hear political opinions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is common practice with gardening forums that have "general chat" forums to have caveats regarding no politics and no religion. Discussions in these areas can be divisive, hurtful, explosive. There are plenty of places on the internet to participate, but gardening forums are not generally one of them. People gather here to share common interests and information about gardening, To be discussing the US Constitution is like putting a jalapeno chili pepper in a pumpkin pie. Nothing wrong with a jalapeno pepper, but you wouldn't want one in your pumpkin pie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I agree with all these posts, especially the comparison between the spicy pumpkin pie. Gardening is more of the soothing and relaxing type of discussion. Adding politics to it...not very bright.

Many forums have a no racial or political topics rule. It's just common sense. I can see how locking it is an option, but come on. Guests coming in and seeing politics can make that much of a difference between joining and not. If staff doesn't want that stuff on, who are we to judge. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I suppose it was the right thing to close the topic. (Although I was very interested). Politics can destroy family and friendship. It's very difficult to recover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will352

Latest Threads