Lettuce problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Hey everyone , I was in this forum and really enjoyed it. I’ve recently decided to return ‘cause I’d love to start taking care of my balcony garden again.
A couple of weeks ago I sow some lettuce seeds but over the last four days I realised that something is not going well.
Do you happen to know why ?

Attachments

• 1600AA53-18E9-4124-AEA6-48CE66432F4C.jpeg
    1600AA53-18E9-4124-AEA6-48CE66432F4C.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 116
P

Peace perfect peace

Hey everyone , I was in this forum and really enjoyed it. I’ve recently decided to return ‘cause I’d love to start taking care of my balcony garden again.
A couple of weeks ago I sow some lettuce seeds but over the last four days I realised that something is not going well.
Do you happen to know why ?
Yep you've sowed the seeds and thats it, sowed and no more,
Plants need to be given both space to grow -on and a good quality compost,/ fed, /and watered,/ kept warm no freezing conditions and / light,
Lettuce dont want direct sun all day as if they get to much sun they'll scorch (white marks on the leaves)
Tip.
when using liquid only feed the compost around the lettuce and not over the leaves,
the easy way to remember is water from the top and feed from the bottom,
Just like nature, when it rains the plant gets its leaves wet,
The food side comes from the soil and whats under the soil "Except for when humans put plants in trays/pots the tray/pot has no food unless the human gives it some.

You can pick very young leaves and use these if you dont want larger leaves, but if you want a good sized crispy leave grow them on and thin out as they grow or in this case dont sow so many . Spread the sowing out ie sow every 4 weeks and you'll have a supply all through the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
Thank you for your reply. I've always sowed the lettuce during the winter and I've never experienced that problem. The direct sun might be the problem, I agree. Even if they get the sun only 5 h a day. Anyway I water my plants everyday and I use organic vegetal fertilizers as well.
Usually I sow a lot of seeds 'cause I like crowded pots :) Moreover the seeds I sowed are not the typical lettuce, the plant is called "misticanza"and it's a mix of wild plants, including rocket, dandelion, fennel, etc.. I don't expect good sized leaves.

Last edited:
P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Fagiolino,
Nice to read your reply,
I must admit ive not heard of this lettuce Misticanza with all these added things in the same pkt,
Here in france and the uk we try to keep some of these growing seperate due to the time each one needs to grow,
ie the fennel, But this is whats good about gardening, if your willing you can go on for years learning,

Only on Monday evening we visited some french friends and we enjoyed a few bottles of wine and verious snacks, i was asked if i'd ever tried this green paste (i cant for the life of me remember what they called it) But it was a simple to make paste and it was made up of
garden nettles, cremefresh, garlic and mustard, and it was really nice,
But as i said this is real gardening and im more than willing to learn,
Thanks Fagiolino.

Ask a Question