Leather jackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Stu72!! We never bother. We have a rather large turfed area here which we keep well manicured, but we leave the leather jackets alone - the birds eat some of them. Are they really causing big trouble there, or is it just patches on the grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the usual ''problem'' for anyone who cares about their garden Stu, and although others might suggest that you kill the creatures responsible, my view is different.
I have discovered - over many gardening years, that my original plans for bugs have altered. Live and let live is a good philosophy, and generally I find that nature sorts this out rather well without my help.
I see my ''lawns'' now as grass.
Under the present circumstances, we have dug much of the grass here out and made beds for growing more of our own vegetables, which are free of the poisons that are rife in shop bought produce.
Maybe one or two of the other members will write a reply for some alternative ideas ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1703178167139.png
I don't think anyone on ebay would want these, and neither would they be popular in charity shops......... but I suppose we could always ask them :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would start by cutting back on the fertilizer. An over-attended yard is a most attractive salad. We have the problem with army worms from moths. Red ants also help but I would not seek to import those painful creatures. But to @Tetters point, the year I killed the ants the grubs and catapillars killed the lawn in large sections.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My "Mod" sister, here with us at Blackpool Tower in the early sixties, got rid of hers when she became a manager for an American Bank which was rapidly expanding. Her branch? "The Middle East."

Kathleen Blackpool 1956.JPEG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would start by cutting back on the fertilizer. An over-attended yard is a most attractive salad. We have the problem with army worms from moths. Red ants also help but I would not seek to import those painful creatures. But to @Tetters point, the year I killed the ants the grubs and catapillars killed the lawn in large sections.
The main point today Dirt M is to do with donating your bugs to charity shops 🙄 As for damaged grass, it very soon grows back again.

Ask a Question