Lantana mowed down :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! My little Lantana got accidentally mowed down last weekend... :( She just got her first bloom. Now it is just a sad little stick of about 3 inches looking out of the ground. How are my chances that she will survive and is there anything I can do, to help her? I live in the south of New Mexico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, it is so easy, a little too far when you are trying to tidy and edge and ...
I wouldn't hold out great hopes, but you do live in a forgiving climate I guess. I can't think doing anything is going to help when so much has been done already. The only exception I can think of would be cutting to a sharp edge to prevent infection if the end that is left is frayed, but I would be reluctant.
So, chances? Poor. What can you do? Very little or nothing. I am sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh dear, it is so easy, a little too far when you are trying to tidy and edge and ...
I wouldn't hold out great hopes, but you do live in a forgiving climate I guess. I can't think doing anything is going to help when so much has been done already. The only exception I can think of would be cutting to a sharp edge to prevent infection if the end that is left is frayed, but I would be reluctant.
So, chances? Poor. What can you do? Very little or nothing. I am sorry.
Thanks for your reply, Oliver. She was very special to me... it still feels like a bad dream - I can not believe she is gone. Every day it was the first thing in the morning to go outside and look what she is doing and counting every new leaf. And finally she got her first bloom. I was ready to snap a picture and was so excited! And in the next minute I come out and she was gone. :cry: I will continue and watch her... maybe, maybe... if I get really really lucky, she will push out some new tiny leaves.... We still have some warm weeks ahead of us here in the southwest... My hope won't die....

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
May not be a lost cause...wait and see.

I've cut them back all the way to the ground before and they came back in the spring.

So, I would just wait and see. Keep fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
May not be a lost cause...wait and see.

I've cut them back all the way to the ground before and they came back in the spring.

So, I would just wait and see. Keep fingers crossed.
Yeah - that is what I am counting on... our climate and her hopefully already established root system... Thanks for your kind words! :):)

Ask a Question