Lantana berries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Lantana ate coveted with berries typify now. Are they safe? Edible? My biggest concern is keeling my 15 month old from eating them (I caught her trying to eat an acorn several times already! ). If they are really toxic they might have to go. But if they are edible that night me a nice surprise. Anyone know?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lantana berries are toxic to mammals (including 15 month old children) but mockingbirds and other birds eat them. Just keep an eye on your little one, and let the birds enjoy the berries.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/6/e1585 contradicts my post, so ingesting the berries may not be harmful.
However, teaching a child to not "graze" is still a good idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If there is such a thing as scientific consensus the consensus is that the berries while green are poisonous but not poisonous if ripe and purple. For some reason deer do not eat them at my home. Neither do any mammals but birds love them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. The web is ALL OVER the place on this stuff. The MOST agreed on is that the green berries are poisonous...although there seems to be some disagreement there as well. I would think it would be pretty easy to classify a plant as poisonous or not, even scientific journals seem to disagree on this one. I found one site that claims the ripe berries are tasty to eat out of hand or in Jams, still others that claim is can be fatal even when ripe!

Florida poison control officially lists it as toxic. So I think it has to go. Lots of poisonous plants around to be sure, but berries are just to tempting to little kids. I don't worry about them plucking a caladium leaf for a snack, but a bush full of pretty blue berries (that kind of look like mini blueberries to a kid!) is tempting. Especially when it is right at the edge of our driveway where they like to play. Kind of like leaving a bottle of open bleach in the middle of the floor while they play!

Ask a Question