Indeterminate Cheapness of Tomatos?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, i have 26 seedlings, indeterminate. Was going to get 20 x 10 gallon bags, those are cheap like 40$. But then dirt... océan foreast is 1.5cu feet at 15$. That's $300 of dirt! 😆. I also don't necessarily want to move all that... and I still got peppers to plant. I cant tear up the yard i am renting, but then again 20 containers dont leave much grass and mose, the soil is pretty much clay. The solutions I see before me are:
  • Just plant in smaller containers for now, worry later.
  • Some kinda like 4 inch pipe raised bed? Might be less damage to lawn than containers that are 10g, lot less dirt.
  • Just plant in ground, let grass grow around.
  • Feed em to the pigeons.
  • TBD ideas
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
26 indeterminate tomatoes are a lot, and a lot of trellising. Can you plant along the fence line for the trellising?
I would hoe a deep trench along the fence and add all the liquid fertilizer I could find into the trench before planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've sort of committed to the 10 foot mega tomato cage.

I had an idea, floraflex 5 gallon pots. Those things have 50% of the bottom missing. 5 gallons of fox farm, then the roots can hit the clay. Kind of expensive, maybe 5 gallon grow bags with holes in the bottom would be cheaper. Hmmm... thoughts? Might get a doil test. It's like a black clay... its like red georgia clay with hundreds of years of forest debris mixed in. Heck, if the 5 gallon would work maybe even smaller, was considering 4 inch pipe. Wondering if anyone delt with similar cheapishness.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might be better with Determinant Tomatoes.

Raised them in 5 gallon buckets with Bamboo stakes holding them up.

This year I'm mostly getting away from Container Gardening but going to have a regular 20 X 40 garden.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I already have 32 romas planted, lol.
1000005890.jpg

Good idea, maybe I can buy my rental and do the same next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an idea... use the 10 gallon bags I had originally intended, put 5 gallons of dirt in each... put the indeterminate on their side in that. I can bury a little more as the season progresses, dont break the bank all at once... they arent going to need 10 gallons of dirt for at least a month.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an idea... use the 10 gallon bags I had originally intended, put 5 gallons of dirt in each... put the indeterminate on their side in that. I can bury a little more as the season progresses, dont break the bank all at once... they arent going to need 10 gallons of dirt for at least a month.
I was trying 5 gallon all the way through. Did well but yes the roots were tight.

I was reading the other day on Container Size for all plants. When in doubt go bigger.

big rockpile

Ask a Question