How to get rid of Pachysandra at a tree base

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have some large Maples, with Pachysandra (perennial cold-hardy groundcover) growing at their base. I dislike this ground cover immensely because it spreads, and in the last 2 years it has taken over a substantial portion of adjoining areas. The spreading is somewhat slow but noticeable. I have been reading up about how to eradicate or limit it and am not finding great answers. I am hoping that experience can guide me better...

- Digging up: Quite impractical. The areas are fairly large and this will be hard to do. Besides, it's all among the tree roots.
- Chemical methods: I don't want to spray over tree roots - I don't know if this is harmful. Besides, there are many other plants nearby. If I do have to do this, what happens after the weeds are killed/browned? Do you still dig them up after? If you don't, will they come back?
- Covering with some type of sun/air blocker. Plastic and cardboard have been suggested. Plastic looks like a decent option, but will it hurt the tree roots? If I do use it, should it be permeable landscape fabric or impermeable black plastic? I don't understand the cardboard suggestion: with a lot of impending rain, won't it just disintegrate? How will it be effective then (as I read it takes months to kill this weed)? If I do use it, will I end up with a large area of soggy cardboard mess to clean up later?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Paint on systemic weed killers are available to buy and you don't have to paint every part of the plant. It won't affect any other plants or the tree roots. The weed will die off and eventually rot down but if you prefer to dig them up, make sure they are completely dead first or you may get re-growth. In fact you could use any systemic killer that is diluted and paint it on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Have you considered scattering a series of wildflower seeds, perhaps some clover, around the area?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you considered scattering a series of wildflower seeds, perhaps some clover, around the area?
How would this work? Are you suggesting that the seeds that sprout (if they can even get through the fairly dense mat of ground cover) will end up outcompeting the established pachysandra? Seems unlikely. Or am I misundestanding?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
How would this work? Are you suggesting that the seeds that sprout (if they can even get through the fairly dense mat of ground cover) will end up outcompeting the established pachysandra? Seems unlikely. Or am I misundestanding?
In short - yes. Clover, may in fact, be able to smother out some of it, and potentially out compete it. It's worth a try, perhaps throw in a variety of perennial wildflower mix as well - suitable for your area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Very Easy to get rid of. I had those when we first moved into our home 34 years ago. a big patch flanked both sides of the front door stoop, catching all the leaves that fell. So I put an add in local news paper. Went like this
Free Pachysandra, you dig you take. I had 5 women show up. wanted all of them. They dug them all out, took them away. It was totally cleared of all roots etc. And they thanked me for them. Done job.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Very Easy to get rid of. I had those when we first moved into our home 34 years ago. a big patch flanked both sides of the front door stoop, catching all the leaves that fell. So I put an add in local news paper. Went like this
Free Pachysandra, you dig you take. I had 5 women show up. wanted all of them. They dug them all out, took them away. It was totally cleared of all roots etc. And they thanked me for them. Done job.
Very clever solution. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have you tried mowing it back?

My grandparents had plenty around their house and I never noticed any special treatment needed to keep it in line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dunno - everything I read says the smallest bit of root left will regenerate. Those volunteer diggers aren't going to ensure every last bit is dug up. Besides, I'm talking about probably a couple hundred sq ft or more.

I am curious about burning. How does taking a propane torch to this sound? Taking on more than I bargained for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I dunno - everything I read says the smallest bit of root left will regenerate. Those volunteer diggers aren't going to ensure every last bit is dug up. Besides, I'm talking about probably a couple hundred sq ft or more.

I am curious about burning. How does taking a propane torch to this sound? Taking on more than I bargained for?
After those wonderful ladies dug up the plants, I planted some hosta's in those areas, that was maybe 29 years ago. So far, no little left over plants has shown up. So I would say either they got all the roots, or I did some 29+ years ago, just too long ago to recall. Picture shows area.
IMG_5790.JPG

Ask a Question