How far do camellia trees need to be from house

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a Japanese camellia tree/bush on the side of our house, approximately 7 ft tall, and the trunk is about 6-8 inches in diameter. The trunk is 3 1/2 ft away from the foundation (concrete slab). My husband wants to take it out as he's convinced it's too close to the house. I don't want to remove it unless absolutely necessary as it produces the most stunning flowers. I can't find anything conclusive about how close they can be. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I think your husband is worrying unduly. Most camellias are shallow rooted
If the trunk is six to eight inches across it's a well established one and will have a substantial root ball already. It's unlikely to be more than six feet in diameter. As it won't like the lime in the concrete it's unlikely that the root will grow any more than it has already, in that direction,
As there is less resistance the other side away from the house, further growth if any, is likely to be that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a Japanese camellia tree/bush on the side of our house, approximately 7 ft tall, and the trunk is about 6-8 inches in diameter. The trunk is 3 1/2 ft away from the foundation (concrete slab). My husband wants to take it out as he's convinced it's too close to the house. I don't want to remove it unless absolutely necessary as it produces the most stunning flowers. I can't find anything conclusive about how close they can be. Does anyone have any thoughts?
A camellia will normally and eventually grow to about 10-12 feet tall and about 8-10 feet wide, depending on where you live. It really should be moved to prevent future damage to your house.

Ask a Question