hide my clotheslines

Reaction score
I have clotheslines in my back yard that I use all summer but would like to hide them so they don't detract from the rest of the yard. Any ideas/pictures of what you would do or have done?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love to see clothes hanging on the line ,some people get those round poles to hang clothes on as it keeps them in one area

j.w

Reaction score
welcomefunnybutterfly.gif
Judy

I don't know how you'd hide the whole thing but you could make it more attractive by growing a pretty vine or Climbing Rose up the posts. Other than that I got nothin for ya :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Judy, welcome to the site!

I guess it depends on the layout of your garden and where the clothesline is situated. Would it be possible to put up some trellis to hide it? You could have plants climbing up it (maybe vines or climbing roses like j.w suggests) - it would make a nice feature and would mean the clothes are hidden from the rest of the garden.

Reaction score
you could take the clothes lines down and buy a tumble dryer !!!!!!! sorry haha
i dont like my clothes line either but mirka would not go without it, damn she even hangs clothes on the fence round the pond if she has filled the line up ! yes i have a 3 yr old son and a 15 yr old son so we do a lot of washing !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the dryer but love the smell of clothes when they hang out outside to dry .You could get high just sniffing your clothes.Great job Mirka saving on the utilities

j.w

Reaction score
I did that hanging the clothes thing outside for yrs and then we moved here and the washer was upstairs I said I'm not hauling stuff all the way down and then all the way up again. I'll leave that for the peeps w/ washers on the bottom floors. Now if I ever get a house w/ the washer on the bottom I'll start doing it again cuz I do love the smell and it does save energy costs!

Reaction score
I had a small line that I used for diaper drying on my deck that retracted into itself. It was very handy and easy to use, and disappeared when i didn't want it anymore. I know there are larger versions of retractable clothes lines you can attach to the side of a shed/house. Any post you have, just grow a climbing flower or use it to support a trellis for beans, peas, etc.

Reaction score
Do those lines have to be there? If not you could just move them.
You could try to decorate the poles by painting them. I don't think a climbing flower would be ok because it will climb on the lines too.

Reaction score
I think I would do a trellis with climbing vines in front of the clothes line so that it blocks it from view. Just make sure to put it far enough away from the clothesline so that you have a large enough walk way to bring clothes back and forth. Maybe you could do something that is both pretty and edible, that way it "shoots two birds with one stone" so to speak. Just don't plant anything that birds might eat, like say blackberries, because they could drop the berries on your clothes and poop blackberry poops on your clothes, which would probably stain them.

That's what I'm going to do with my chain link duck kennel. I'm going to plant loads of climbing vines on the chain link (or perhaps on trellis in front of the chain link, so as to keep the chain link clean). Plants that I want to plant anyways, so it saves space since I need to shade the duck kennel from the sun a little. I plan on doing blackberries, muscadine grapes, chayote, malabar spinach, climbing roses, Jubilee fruiting roses, nasturtiums and possibly others that are non-toxic to ducks and edible to humans. :)

Reaction score
I was just thinking of a trellis with beautiful flowering vines. I love drying my clothes in the sun and i would like to keep them out of sight too. What better way than to do this and enjoy the best of both worlds? A trellis is where my vote goes.

Ask a Question