Hi! Food grower turned flower gardener

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
LOL! I will ask my son as he thinks this laptop belongs to him as well... It will take me ages to back up my laptop .. Son does it all through the night.

Wish I could just dump it out of the wiindow and get a new and reset one just like that . LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice useful garden. You could draw out the whole garden and label the various aspects.. Which spots has the longest hours of sunshine? And write down the plants that you like and note their heights. Have some evergreen shrubs which are compact and which add interest all year round .. colours, flowers, fragrance and berries and all those. I am sure you will have an exciting time going round gc ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You all lost me at, "allotment grower" :confused:
Ah yes, I forgot there are a lot of American posters on here! My other forum ( for allotment growers) is mainly UK based. I think they are like your community gardens but purely designed for people to grow food and maybe a bit of sitting around when worn out from all the digging Not pretty like gardens but functional! Mine was 50m by 10m and I paid the equivalent of $25 rent per year which included the use of water from taps. For those who live in towns /cities they are very popular and often have long waiting lists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Linky.....warm welcome :)
I grow veg and fruit but also passionate about the ornamental side of gardening too.
You can certainly brighten up your garden with well chosen plants for all year round colour.
For a bit of inspiration take a look at Christopher Lloyd's books like the Adventurous Gardener and the Well Tempered Gardener. He talks poetically, knowledgeably and amusingly about gardens and plants in a way that really helps to enjoy gardening.
Enjoy your new garden :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like having one now. So cheap .. @Linky I hope you're keeping your allotment.. It's peanut for such a big piece of land.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like having one now. So cheap .. @Linky I hope you're keeping your allotment.. It's peanut for such a big piece of land.
I wish I could have - a lot of blood sweat and tears went into turning it from a nettle infested jungle to something productive! However we are now over an hour away so it just wasn't feasible.

I think I know what I want to do with our garden but need to sleep on it a bit longer to make sure I don't change my mind in the meantime. If I ask my husband he just shrugs and says I can do what I want

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0872.JPG
Yes
50 m = 150 feet. that is pretty good size.
yes, I was lucky to have a bigger one as I was on the edge of woodland/scrub so could keep extending if I wanted. It was bigger than my garden is. This gives you an idea of what it looked like at the start of a season. Not pretty but very functional

Ask a Question