Re-Grow Your Food In Water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I came across this article on how to regrow your food last month, and I was thrilled to know, http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/05/10-foods-regrow-water-alone/

I am experimenting with red leaf lettuce in the water, and growing green onion in a container on the deck. I have been doing green onion this way for many years now. As for the red leaf lettuce, it is growing nicely in just water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, that is a neat idea ICyBC, I know that you can get begonnias, and things like that to root out when you put it in water so it stands to reason you would be able to grow other things in water as well. It sounds like a good way to save some work, and also have some good vegetables you can eat. I might try this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard about this before and I think that it's a wonderful idea. Some time ago, I planted a few carrot tops. They developed little green leaves, it looked lovely:)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
This is new to me and I think it is amazing.

I would give it a try when I have some space around, which I hope will be soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, that is a neat idea ICyBC, I know that you can get begonnias, and things like that to root out when you put it in water so it stands to reason you would be able to grow other things in water as well. It sounds like a good way to save some work, and also have some good vegetables you can eat. I might try this!

I bought one bunch of organic green onion, and use the white tops to grow, but I had mine in a containers with dirt. So far I have eaten it twice, just the green though, and they keep on producing.
Here is my red leaf lettuce picture as of yesterday:

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I know one can grow food in water using hydroponics and there are several variations of the same though not recognised as such. This method works with plants that can sprout like cabbages and lettuce as well as carrots among other plants. I wonder whether this method can be used to grow these crops to fruition. But I suppose that this is only possible in urban areas where farming space is scarce and the roof can make a good surface for such a water garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have only heard about this with lettuce. I did not realize this could be done with other veggies. Thank you for the information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am doing that with my green onions right now and they grow quick! I have about 8 of them in a mason jar in my kitchen. They like the sunlight and minerals from tap water. They grow so quickly and will grow that way for around 4 rounds before they want more nutrients and you have to put them in some soil.

Ask a Question