Hi! Food grower turned flower gardener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have been an avid allotment grower for 5 years but lived in a flat. This summer we moved so I had to give up my allotment but gained my first ever garden! Flower growing is a whole new ball game to me so I am looking forward to learning lots. When we moved in our gardens were very green and overgrown! I've attached a photo of my back garden not long after we moved in with one of several giant buddleias. There is are also 2 photo of how it looks now at the back. Tidier but in desperate need of colour and flowers!

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey @Linky, welcome to the forums :). It's a shame you had to give up on the allotment, but it's pretty cool that you've now got your own garden instead! Loads of potential there too :).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. Yes it is a shame about the allotment but as we moved an hour away keeping it wasn’t really an option sadly. Once I have the garden under control (I’m sure I can sneak in some fruit and veg as well) I may start looking for another allotment but hard to manage it all while working full time! I also have so much to learn about flowers and need to decide what I want to do with the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, Allotment, its a thing in the UK. learned about it years ago, as I am on another garden forum that has lots of UK members. Its a small plot of soil space assigned to folks who are on a waiting list. And you could be right next to a stranger who also has one. I understand once you get it , you can keep it till you die, or if needed give it up, and it goes to the next person on the list. You can do with it as you please. Most folks plant food on it, some also have little storage sheds for tools etc. These are usually folks that live in tight dense housing areas with no soil at all, or not enough for anything. I hope I got all that correct, or close to from what I understand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! We'll all chime in with answers and suggestions for any of your questions. You've made amazing progress with the clean-up and cutting back in your yard!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @Linky

Congratulations on having your own garden!

You could still have raised bed and grow your own, as you point out. You don't need to give up growing vegs all at once. Soon, you will enjoy having more colours, shapes and perfume in your own garden.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sound like a very sick parrot! Sorry, but my laptop has been out of connection for nearly a week and it is allergic to any kind of clicks ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sound like a very sick parrot! Sorry, but my laptop has been out of connection for nearly a week and it is allergic to any kind of clicks ..

I wanted to LIKE @MaryMary 's post. I was redirected to

Like Post
Are you sure you want to like this post?

Oh, I am sick as a parrot!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'd better get out of here:eek::LOL:! LOL!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@alp, :( I am very sorry that you are having problems with your laptop and/or internet connection. Truly I am. I know how frustrating that can be. (n)

I wanted to LIKE @MaryMary 's post. I was redirected to

Like Post
Are you sure you want to like this post?

BUT... that is hilarious!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
er334%2B%252810%2529.gif
Linky !

I hope you have decide what plants you will like to get for your new garden, It becomes confusing when I go to buy plants(n), I just want to buy them all.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe its time to reset your computer or at least reset the browser, try to back up data fron PC before resetting/ export bookmarks and passwords if saved in browser before resetting.

I reset once in a month, so I don't have to do this
er334%2B%252877%2529.gif

Ask a Question