Hello there!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody. Just to introduce myself. I lived in Egypt for a decade and then repatriated back to the UK two years ago. I lived in a small cottage in the north east of England for a year and then moved house a little further south and inherited a weed garden. The weeds have done very well and have grown to at least six feet tall without any kind of maintenance at all. It has saved me money on buying tea, as I just nip off the tip of the nettles and make a cuppa, along with some fantastic dandelion leaves for my salads. Sadly, though, as all good things must come to an end, the poor weeds have to go to make room for some colour. So, I am looking forward to getting to know you all, and reading your posts to see if I can grow something a bit more challenging than my nettles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:ROFLMAO:Happy to hear of your success growing weeds @janemariesayed and a warm welcome to the forum. At one time in a less tropical climate i grew a rather large plot of herbs and included dandelions. People could hardly believe i was actually growing them on purpose but they have some incredible properties and were used as a medicine in the 1800s and probably before. Yes, the leaves are wonderful in salads but i really loved the roots. I would pull them up in the autumn when they were so full of nutrients, cut them up and roast them and brew them like coffee...soooo delicious! I hope you keep some of your weeds and will look forward to seeing what else you decide to grow in your garden.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

I make dandelion coffee too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I lived in the UK my mom made nettle tea but i didn't like it. However I would brew it up and use it as a hair rinse. :)
Also it makes me :rolleyes: when I see dandelion greens sold at high-end grocery stores. There's a multi-billion dollar industry aimed at eradicating dandelions and other "weeds" from our lawns, and apparently also a market for dandelion leaves for fancy salads.
Anyway, welcome!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The previous mrs zigs made me some nettle tea when I had food poisoning, made me feel worse :rolleyes:

Ask a Question