Heirloom Tomato Juice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually grow these hybrid tomatoes (Celebrity, Empire, & Better Boys) every year and they have always suited me for an all-around tomato (slicing & juice, medium sized) but I've been looking for an heirloom tomato that compares so I can just save my own seeds.

Last year I tried Brandywine Pink and they do make a pretty good hamburger tomato but the tomato juice it makes has a bad taste to me. It is too sweet for juice for my taste. Acidity seems to be needed for juice I think so probably a red tomato is required.

I also tried the Rutgers tomato (which is the bushiest tomato I've ever seen and spits out tons of small tomtoes) and it makes the best tomato juice in the world but most of the tomtoes were too small to be used for hamburgers. Most were maybe 1.5-2.5" round although I did get a very few that were medium sized (3-3.5" round) so I'm looking for something else.

Anyone have any suggestions of which variety fits the bill? I like the taste of V8 juices tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haven't heard of Costoluto Genovese or Opalka.
I've been growing them for years. You have to order seeds online as you will never see transplants. The Costo's are a fairly large tomato but is undoubtedly the ugliest tomato there ever was. Its basic growth habit is misshapen and resembles a cat faced tomato. The Opalka is, for a Roma type, fairly large also. It has very few seeds and when processed its juice is much more robust than most other Roma types. It is an excellent canner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our Fresh Pack promises that we will harvest vine-ripened tomatoes that are picked at the peak of flavor and packaged within hours. Which guarantees you absolutely fresh taste. It's a difference you'll taste in your recipes and a commitment we're proud to make. See the side panel for more information.

Ask a Question