What is this family heirloom perennial?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any advice or information on this plant. The flowers are a shade of purple. Thank you very much!
D22FCA49-212A-49A9-805D-827F5CB8F962.jpeg
D74C5437-313B-4D46-95B6-720FAEABFE53.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Definitely Spiderwort. It is a spring bloomer, dies back in the summer, and spreads easily. For heaven's sake, don't encourage it with fertilizer or you'll have it all over the place!
When the leaves turn yellow and lie down, cut it off at ground level. Don't worry, it will be back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, that's Spiderwort (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia)

The bees in my yard love that flower, but it's surprising that around here it's considered a lawn weed. I don't see it as a weed in the slightest. I allow it to grow all over my yard and it does spread (via seedlings) very well and never needs any care on my part, such as fertilization or watering -- totally self-sufficient.

It's also NOT like other plants, in that while they spread like "weeds", they don't over-take the yard; I can grow anything near them and they don't shade them out or otherwise adversely effect the other plants. And they're also edible.

P.S. Some birds, such as the House Finch, eat the seeds

002.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
021.JPG

Ask a Question