Greetings from Northern Nevada

Reaction score
Hey all. I've been looking for a place to be able to discuss gardening and this forum seems to have a lot of information from a lot of informative people.

A little bit about me: I live in an apartment and grow in pots on my patio. I've grown several vegetables successfully and many more unsuccessfully. This year seems to be looking really good.

Here's what's growing (all from left to right):

Image 1) - cilantro, bell peppers, carrots, leeks.

IMG_20140712_193110_211.jpg

Image 2 - zucchini, shamrock, Roma tomato
IMG_20140712_193124_462.jpg

Image 3 - third year Brewer's Gold hops
IMG_20140712_193138_242.jpg

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! It's all looking rather excellent in your pots. Everything is coming along nicely. It's not that easy to grow vegetables in an apartment. I have had some difficulties in the past with creating the right kind of mixture of compost and soil in a pot. Also I had to be very careful where to place the pots, as the sun where I lived was very fierce and the plants overheated in the beginning. I didn't want to buy the soil but used it directly from a friend's backyard. In the end things turned out well, although the green peppers didn't quite make it for some reason.
Good luck with your pot garden!

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! It's all looking rather excellent in your pots. Everything is coming along nicely. It's not that easy to grow vegetables in an apartment. I have had some difficulties in the past with creating the right kind of mixture of compost and soil in a pot. Also I had to be very careful where to place the pots, as the sun where I lived was very fierce and the plants overheated in the beginning. I didn't want to buy the soil but used it directly from a friend's backyard. In the end things turned out well, although the green peppers didn't quite make it for some reason.
Good luck with your pot garden!
Yeah the harsh sun is definitely one of the issues but I'm working on a solution today.

I didn't really mix in a ton of my compost (yup, even composting on the apartment deck) but instead used a mix of Fox Farm ocean garden and an organic potting soil that has a lot of organic material for good draining.

Reaction score
Yeah the harsh sun is definitely one of the issues but I'm working on a solution today.

I didn't really mix in a ton of my compost (yup, even composting on the apartment deck) but instead used a mix of Fox Farm ocean garden and an organic potting soil that has a lot of organic material for good draining.
Sounds good. If you don't mind me asking, how do you compost in your apartment? Do you have a composting bin on your deck? I think it's a wonderful to recycle or your kitchen scraps even though you live in an apartment. I wish more people would do it and decrease the enormous amounts of organic rubbish squeezed into plastic bags that I see on the streets here.

Reaction score
Sounds good. If you don't mind me asking, how do you compost in your apartment? Do you have a composting bin on your deck? I think it's a wonderful to recycle or your kitchen scraps even though you live in an apartment. I wish more people would do it and decrease the enormous amounts of organic rubbish squeezed into plastic bags that I see on the streets here.
Yeah I have three buckets on the patio, like an assembly line. First small bucket is for big solid kitchen scraps. There is compost in there so start breaking stuff down.

Once things get rolling they move to the second bucket, 5 gallons with most of the compost material. This bucket usually contains compost that is mostly ready.

The last bucket, another 5 gallon one, is meant for sifting complete compost in to.

Reaction score
Yeah I have three buckets on the patio, like an assembly line. First small bucket is for big solid kitchen scraps. There is compost in there so start breaking stuff down.

Once things get rolling they move to the second bucket, 5 gallons with most of the compost material. This bucket usually contains compost that is mostly ready.

The last bucket, another 5 gallon one, is meant for sifting complete compost in to.

That's what I call dedication! You seem to have a really good set-up there. I guess you have to, as one bucket alone might take too long and cause odours that other neighbours won't appreciate.
I have never had a composting system while living in the city. When I lived in the country, I had a single big bucket that did all the work. Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the possums and wallabies that "helped" as well by knocking off the lid and digging out the delicacies. :)

Reaction score
That's what I call dedication! You seem to have a really good set-up there. I guess you have to, as one bucket alone might take too long and cause odours that other neighbours won't appreciate.
I have never had a composting system while living in the city. When I lived in the country, I had a single big bucket that did all the work. Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the possums and wallabies that "helped" as well by knocking off the lid and digging out the delicacies. :)
How nice of them! :D

Yeah surprisingly I can keep the compost smell to near nothing. It probably helps that the severe heat dries up stuff in the first bucket so fast that everything gets shriveled and broken apart before it has a chance to get too nasty.

Ask a Question