Grass lawn or groundcover?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am curious to hear different perspectives on grass lawns vs a ground cover of something like clover. I am a fan of ground covers for the reasons that they are usually nicer on bare feet, require less maintenance and water, they naturally suppress weeds, and they even smell better! I like that they also provide a habitable environment for microbes and insects in the soil which creates richer and more moist soil. What are your thoughts on ground cover vs grass lawns?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There's a few threads about this (and welcome, BTW!) :)

I had a clover lawn once and loved it. I think heavily manicured and "weed"-free lawns have their place, but it's not my thing for sure. I'm with you on all your reasons for preferring a more "natural" lawn. A lot of my half-acre yard is left untended with native plants, plus perennial beds and vegetables. I do have the portion of my lawn mowed where the dogs go out and it's probably 50% grass of various types and the rest being wood violets, clover, etc. I've posted this photo before but I think it looks just fine for a lawn that is never watered (we get enough rain here in fact it is pouring as I type), and I've never used weed killer or fertilizer or anything else on it.

lawn.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have wanted to switch from a lawn to some kind of no-mow ground cover for years! Way back when moss was a popular choice, now people are doing all sorts of things. Asian jasmine is popular here as is dwarf mondo grass, but I guess there are too many choices, lol. It's a small lawn so I'm thinking of creating a sort of raised bed and landscaping it, but...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our small lawn is planted with bermuda grass. But that pesky clover and another plant is killing the grass. That other plant, by the way, is the decorative peanut - resembles the peanut plant with the flower of a peanut. Anyway, so as not to be annoyed, we just let them co-exist. Now we have another grass called frog grass which is more sturdy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have wanted to switch from a lawn to some kind of no-mow ground cover for years! Way back when moss was a popular choice, now people are doing all sorts of things. Asian jasmine is popular here as is dwarf mondo grass, but I guess there are too many choices, lol. It's a small lawn so I'm thinking of creating a sort of raised bed and landscaping it, but...
Have you looked a herbs for ground cover, there are so many that can be use for ground cover and smell good when you walk on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Have you looked a herbs for ground cover, there are so many that can be use for ground cover and smell good when you walk on them.

That's a lot of herbs! If I take out the grass and replace it with something alive (as opposed to gravel or some type of hardscaping) I will use Asian jasmine. It spreads quickly and blocks out weeds very effectively. It also flowers, which is lovely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My husband is fanatical about our lawn. He hand weeds it almost every day. From a distance you can't see any clover but up close you can and it drives him crazy. Although our neighbour has deliberately put in clover in a spot where he is having trouble growing grass. He just gave up and put in the ground cover so that he would have something green on his lawn.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I go with the ground cover also. I like the low to no care. We have a steep slope to the yard in the front and have to pay a guy to cut it, if it were my decision I would remove the grass and make it low to no care with ground cover and hardscape materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Groundcover all the way. Better soil retention, health, no need to mow or weed and they're pretty. Plus they're good for all sorts of pollinators.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm personally not a fan of lawns. As I've probably mentioned on here before, it creates a "dead-zone" that was once a lush habitat. Somewhere along the timeline of history, humans began cutting back the native plants and grasses more than needed, and now everything has become a dead-zone lawn. I think, if you could find a native groundcover, that would be ideal.

I personally hope someday to live at a place where I can restore the yard to a native prairie with a winding trail around the yard.

Reaction score
We had both a ground cover and a grass lawn in our garden in my parents house where I grew up. We had a gardener who is maintaining our garden with the help of my mother and father who are the ones taking care of our garden. When I got married and migrated to another country I am always missing our garden at home. If I had the chance to check if I had on my files pictures of our garden I will surely share in this forum. Right now I am just starting to navigate the different threads here because I had just made an account just right now and is a newbie in this forum.

Ask a Question