How to take care of grass lawn in winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Do you add some kind of manure? How much you water it? Can you give some tips about lawn care in winter?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
What are your normal winter temperatures fuumarumota? Here in Britain our lawns are pretty much dormant at this time of year so they are only fed from spring to late summer and usually only watered, if at all during summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hello guys,

Yes I'm in Mexico. In my region temperatures in winter can reach 0°C - 3°C, in the day it can be in the range of 14-17 °C.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Your top winter temperature is not far off my summer temperature here. :)

With those temperatures I would suggest not feeding the lawn during the winter months but carry on mowing if it is growing. It will also give the lawn a rest period. Grass is very resilient and will return to life even if it's looking brown from drought, so if your lawns are green then I suggest you only water if you think it's really necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Indiana, and our winters are most of the time very harsh. We usually put seed down in the fall if there spots that need it. My dad has always told me to keep the grass a little long through the winter months. With that being said, I usually mow the lawn one last time before the mower is stored around the beginning of October. Then when April comes the next year, the lawn starts to free up and is ready for its annual weed spraying. This method has proved to work well for us over the years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
during the winter you'll be wanting to throw lime over your lawn, watch out for hardscapes though as it leaves stains if you don't remove it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@fuumarumota , it is reasonable to conclude that as you live in Mexico. You will have a different species of grass in your lawn that others from other zones. Thus I would find out what that species is and read up on what they say. Also if you have a local golf club they can be of assistance to your answer.

Ask a Question