Thick grass in my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have thick spines of taller grass poking out of my lawn in certain areas, I guess it's crab grass can anyone confirm that? If so I guess I'll have to attack it next spring?

Attachments

• 20160812_082043.jpg
    20160812_082043.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
All I can recommend you to do is start pulling those thick pieces out by yourself, remove them from the ground one by one and let's see if those are going to keep growing up there, I know it sounds really boring to do but that's what I do all the time and it actually works with most of them, if it does not work out for you then go ahead and try to start attacking it as you consider necessary soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It looks like quack grass , I take my pocket knife and cut the shallow root right in the middle of it to get it out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It's not really clear if it is crab grass but definitely that grass has thick spines, yes. For that kind of grass, we use the garden scissors to cut it instead of a mower. However, it is tricky to cut the grass with scissors because it is not easy to maintain the height of the grass. We hire a hand to do that cutting especially now that it is rainy season, our backyard will be full of grasses of different variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think unless you cut it out you are pretty much stuck with it. I tend to agree with Beth though, it's grass as opposed to dead patches. In my idea, I like to have anything that is greenery in my yard. However, I guess it really depends on how big your yard is and how particular you are about what goes into it. It could be a problem for you, and it sounds like it is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, sorry to say, but I think @kgord is right. I remember when we were looking into houses the real estate guy was getting so mad because he would find all these nice houses for good prices, and then come to find out that their lawns were awful, so nobody wanted them. I could really not care less about my lawn, either, and even for me some of them were just disgusting. It is a part of the property, though, so buyer beware.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The best approach is to dig out the grass around the crab grass to extract them out to their roots. Then plant fresh grass in the patches you have cleared. To promote even growth, make sure to level the whole lawn once the newly planted grass has thrived. You can also use a mild herbicide which is specific to broad leafed plants leaving the desired grass growing.

Ask a Question