Good news and bad news - An icy story

Reaction score
Much of the USA has been covered with snow this week: in one city in the Northwest I forget which one)the snow on the ground measured 5 FEET deep! (That is about 1.5 meters)

I have tried not to complain about our unseasonably cold temperatures, because so many people have it much worse than we do: at least the snow here was light enough for the streets to be kept plowed! Some of the cities down south don't even HAVE snowplows, and so just a few inches of snow can paralyze the city. All it takes is one accident at a slippery intersection, and the traffic may stop moving until the problem has been cleared up.

This week there have been heavy snowfalls in many cities that rarely have any snow at all. Those cities simply do not have the equipment to deal with this kind of weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Much of the USA has been covered with snow this week: in one city in the Northwest I forget which one)the snow on the ground measured 5 FEET deep! (That is about 1.5 meters)

I have tried not to complain about our unseasonably cold temperatures, because so many people have it much worse than we do: at least the snow here was light enough for the streets to be kept plowed! Some of the cities down south don't even HAVE snowplows, and so just a few inches of snow can paralyze the city. All it takes is one accident at a slippery intersection, and the traffic may stop moving until the problem has been cleared up.

This week there have been heavy snowfalls in many cities that rarely have any snow at all. Those cities simply do not have the equipment to deal with this kind of weather.
@Kansas Terri - I really love your avatar!!

As to snow, we looked at moving out to Colorado about 25 years ago, until a friend from that area told us they measure snow in feet - not inches. :eek: That put a quick stop to the search. I don't mind a few snow storms each winter - as long as it stays under a foot or so, and it doesn't bring the power lines (and trees) down. It's kind of fun playing in it, but I don't want to have to shovel it, get stuck in it, prepare for it (like stockpiling supplies and get a generator). I've always lived in areas where a day or two after a snow, it usually warms up enough to melt completely. My father never shoveled - his response was always, "The man that put it there will take it away soon!"

Ask a Question