Garden Bed in Shade

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first post on this site so forgive me! I am an architect and new home owner here in New Jersey and while I love design, I am struggling with deciding on the types of plants and trees to plant after edging out (coreten) my front lawn and removing foundation hedges. I want a variety of textures, layers and colors occurring seasonally but being that most of the bed is in full shade it makes it difficult. I would certainly like to sneak a dwarf Japanese maple in there along with hydrangeas but I am struggling with the elements in between. I’d prefer not to use evergreens but I would be open to it. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and would gladly trade services!

Thank you,
Brendan

Attachments

• F44AA06A-DD6A-42D3-A8F9-C56BAC732F41.jpeg
    F44AA06A-DD6A-42D3-A8F9-C56BAC732F41.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 69C7DF45-B543-4FCB-93E1-B3DB35FAFF6C.jpeg
    69C7DF45-B543-4FCB-93E1-B3DB35FAFF6C.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was sorting a similar problem today. I was standing in a greenhouse with a translucent roof and there were scads of plants suitable for shade. But the inventory was aimed at zone 8. That zoning issue will be a detail you would want to address as well as you sort through choices. I imagine the evergreen idea will be a need too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it’s not easy. I went by a nursery yesterday but their inventory is low as they are awaiting all the spring pieces. They’re worried about a last frost destroying their plants as has happened in the past. I am in North Jersey which places me in Zone 7a.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My gardens are just that. wooded lot etc. Hs the texture, and color you desire. If you wish to navigate yourself to Chester county, PA one day. let me know. or look at my thread on this site for ideas. Find my garden at Welcome to Esther's gardens. Or I am on You Tube under Estherredstar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm working on a similar bed myself here in what is normally 7b, where I have part shade, part morning sun. I am looking at Hostas, ferns, camellia, hydrangea. Some hydrangeas bloom at different times, too, so you can keep interest going throughout the season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The orchid Lillie’s work in full shade? Do you think a dwarf Japanese maple would work in the fully shaded area? I am also considering Florida sunshine illicium, Rhythmic blue hydrangeas and Encore azaleas. Do I have to worry about planting evergreens next to plants with regard to soil conditions? This is all very new to me so my head is spinning a bit!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm working on a similar bed myself here in what is normally 7b, where I have part shade, part morning sun. I am looking at Hostas, ferns, camellia, hydrangea. Some hydrangeas bloom at different times, too, so you can keep interest going throughout the season.
Morning sun = roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The orchid Lillie’s work in full shade? Do you think a dwarf Japanese maple would work in the fully shaded area? I am also considering Florida sunshine illicium, Rhythmic blue hydrangeas and Encore azaleas. Do I have to worry about planting evergreens next to plants with regard to soil conditions? This is all very new to me so my head is spinning a bit!
Japanese maple would not like fully shaded area. also conifers need sun. azaleas need minimum dappled sun. I would not put an orchid in full shade. Hydrangeas like some sun, not full shade, I have 13 types, and they are not all created equal, there are 4 basic groups of them, each needs certain type of pruning, and care, some I never prune.

Look up hostas, there are some that grow huge, can hold a baby size, in beautiful blues with awesome drooping leaves. some are vase shaped, some are a yellow color some are multi colored some are low to grown. I gathered 8 books one winter about hostas , to learn about them, settled in and got to know how to position the type, style and shape, and color to decorate and to complement each other and the area . It takes time. I have a hosta thread on this site, you can see all sort of types there, and they make more types every year.

You can't rush a good garden, takes time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes it’s not easy. I went by a nursery yesterday but their inventory is low as they are awaiting all the spring pieces. They’re worried about a last frost destroying their plants as has happened in the past. I am in North Jersey which places me in Zone 7a.
want a good nursery, with awesome stuff. Groff's nursery, in Quarryville, PA. big selections, good prices.
select zone 6 and 5, for safe. If you go to zone 7 position plant near the house for protection. when I am at Groff's I over hear folks saying they traveled from New Jersey. they load their car up.

Last edited:

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
Well both growing areas are a bit on the small side. If the Japanese maple you're referring to is the Acer palmatum then according to a few sources the tree does better in shady areas. Apparently the leaves can be susceptible to leaf scorch from too much direct sunlight.

The particular species can grow to a height of 20ft. Cited From another source ( few apps with plant encyclopedias.) So that's something to take into consideration. The tree is also said to thrive best with soil that drains well. It also blooms in spring.

As for the hydrangeas, according to fast growing trees.com the plant can grow from 2 to the 3 feet tall and wide to 6x6 ft depending on the variety. So the right kind would be perfect for the first photo. Putting the maple in the middle and hydrangeas on each side. Wouldn't be room for much else.

The second photo, the space seems and lot smaller so you could fill it with one or two shrubs or some groundcover plants which is what I'd do.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting with climbing plants, Parthenocissus is a shade lover, my personal favourite is the one called ''Henryi'' This is a self clinging plant to cover walls, and give a backdrop for the rest of your plants. There are also several Clematis varieties, and some climbing roses you could use. Hydrangea ''petiolaris'' is a good climber too with white flowers. Bear in mind, when planting any variety of Hydrangea, the colour of the flowers will depend on the acidity of your soil. Acid they will be blue, and lime soil will produce pink. White ones stay true. There are lots of Fuchsias too, and the best to go for would be the hardy varieties. These enjoy shade, and can make a great display nearer to autumn time.
When it comes to small trees, the Prunus varieties would be happy in shade, and in my own shady garden I find silver Birch trees are happy. Just about all of the springtime bulbs will do well. There are many very pretty ornamental grasses too that would fit the bill, and these are not fussy about where they grow.
Choose Syringa (lilac) for perfume, and Sarcococca for perfume in the winter.
I could go on all day, but think I'll leave it there for now.

1682185595491.png
Hakonechloa is a lovely Japanese grass, which is wonderful for edging a bed around a pathway.
Welcome to the forums @ArchitectInJersey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This is my first post on this site so forgive me! I am an architect and new home owner here in New Jersey and while I love design, I am struggling with deciding on the types of plants and trees to plant after edging out (coreten) my front lawn and removing foundation hedges. I want a variety of textures, layers and colors occurring seasonally but being that most of the bed is in full shade it makes it difficult. I would certainly like to sneak a dwarf Japanese maple in there along with hydrangeas but I am struggling with the elements in between. I’d prefer not to use evergreens but I would be open to it. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated and would gladly trade services!

Thank you,
Brendan

Thank you,
Brendan
Hi Brendan -
Japanese Maple (More towards the front of your shaded space), with Hydrangeas in the background, perhaps followed up with a low growing ground cover is one suggestion.

Really comes down to what you want to be looking at as time progresses, suitable for your planting zone, which also complements your home. Gardens are dynamic, so it's best to first start out small with things you like, and are manageable, and see where things evolve from there.

Ask a Question