Forty Shades of Green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I recently waged war on my garden weeds within the lawn area...It had become very compacted and strewn with moss, thatch and copious amounts of stubborn weeds....I applied Evergreen 4 in 1 Granular lawn treatment, which killed the moss etc and I was able to rake out bag after bag of thatch leaving it very bare indeed...I then proceeded to manually aerate the soil and in time sowed a lot of new grass seed....The lawn is pretty much back to its former glory lush green and vibrant........That is except for some persistent weeds.....My question is....How do I suppress these weeds once more without applying 4 in 1 again (too soon after initial treatment) is there another product I can use or spot treat with to accomplish this task
Any replies greatly appreciated
Regards
C

20170523_180618.jpg

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glyphosate Gel, you can just smear it on the weeds without touching the surrounding grass.
Or, you could decant some of the liquid and apply with a paint brush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Below is the story so far...as you will probably agree its such a vast improvement and oozes health (whereas before it was limp, bland and lifeless...but I can see persistent weeds will still need to be kept on top off....Paranoia is starting to take hold hahahahaha......

BeforeAfter Collage.jpg

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you said in the OP that you've recently waged war on the lawn, how recently? That's a phenomenal change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Jan believe it or not 6 weeks maximum probably less.....I mowed it first very close to the bone....then I applied Evergreen 4 in 1 lawn treatment and watered in well...I then waited for approx 3 weeks to give this time to cook......whilst this process was in motion and after about a week after initial treatment I began to scarify out the dead moss and thatch with a long tined rake. you wouldn't believe how much rubbish was in amongst the grass or what was left of it. (now the 4 in 1 was applied with an Evergreen branded push along spreader at a setting of 5 and it did leave some scorching, which was expected) I then began to manually aerate the soil over and over and over again (do this when the ground is wet, much easier) So around 3 weeks after the treatment I sowed my seed (6 boxes in all...yes I know its a little overkill but I wanted a nice lush carpet) Now this seed was billed as fast germinating and although I was constantly saturating the soil every evening after 7 days nothing was appearing and to be perfectly honest with you I thought I'd wasted a shed load of money on seed as I had it in my head maybe I shouldn't have sowed so soon after the 4 in 1......infact I had resigned myself to this and was about to start again....I needn't have worried..the weather was playing alongside me with nice cool damp mornings then some sunshine then good heavy showers and lo and behold one morning I noticed a green tinge to the dessimated areas...YES we were in business..
Nice new shoots everywhere....lovely colouration.....A week or ten days later I had to cut it on a high setting with my Qualcast Panther 30 push along cylinder mower.....beautiful cut.....I believe that these little mowers are by far and away the best thing to use when mowing a small lawn.....the hovers and the electric motors seem to rip the garden grass to shreds....I love this little mower...cheap as chips....and that's about it...Yes I still have some weeds but if I'm brutally honest with myself, it was probably only to be expected....they are not on the scale as they were before and thats why I posted this thread on how to manage what is left.....I will use Evergreen 4 in 1 again at the end of August early September to try and keep the grass in good condition...I really do believe this product works.
It's a long post Jan but I thought I would just relay all aspects of my preparation etc...as it may be of some help to others
Regards
C

PS the down side is that I've had to mow this grass every 7 days now its that manic....but it looks great bar the odd weed here and there :)

71d8r4z3JXS._SY550_.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This is the Brand of Grass Seed I used...
Westland ...Gro Sure Fast Acting Lawn Seed

The War Department is so pleased that she wants me to do the front lawn as well :)

large-westland-gro-sure-fast-acting-lawn-seed-50m2.jpg

Last edited:

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's absolute brilliant, it looks lovely. Such a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Jan to be honest I even impressed myself......I forgot to say after the seeding stage, i covered the seed with Westland multi purpose compost and sand, sorry I failed to present that point.....Plus copious amounts of Water
Regards
C

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys another aspect I failed to disclose from the above...After I had sown the seed I virtually covered the whole garden (seeds and all) with Westlands Multi-Purpose Compost and Sand mix...First of all I broadcast the compost all over the whole area and then went back over it all again broadcasting the sand (see image below)..I then brushed it all in with a stiff yard brush....I used 4x75 litre bags of compost and 4x25kg bags of sand. (not builders sand it compacts too much)....So there you have it...from a complete muck mess to a nice green carpet in a matter of weeks....NB...Dont forget to keep watering, lots of watering......Regards C

20170526_201939.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a phenomenal transformation BigC. I'm so jealous! I've started working on growing grass in our yard but we've had so much rain recently I'm fairly certain it's just washed away the grass seed I put down. It looks lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon you'll be fine....I found that you'll always need more than the recommended Mfg dose antway so buy a few more boxes...the thicker the better in my experience...chokes the weeds out

Ask a Question