Floral Dinnerware

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, we like plainer stuff too, but it's good everyone doesn't want the same thing. Just watch out for bone china Wedgwood poppy design ("corn poppy", I believe). My sister had a set as a wedding gift many years ago. Sat in the cupboard unused or years - like most "good china" does. Got it out for Christmas one year when we were over in UK visiting. Every plate and dish had cracked around the bottom, in fact some of them the bottoms fell out! Must have been a bad batch, so beware if you buy used ones. Wedgwood tried to wiggle out of it, but every piece?!! They finally paid up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Many moons ago when I was decorating and deciding on the table setting. There is a decision to be made. If you have very decorated dished, you can't have very decorated table cloth or place mats, they will clash, And very decorated dished does not go with over the top engraved flat wear. Well all this is my opinion. In setting a nice table there are 3 actors, table cloth, flat wear, and dishes. As I said earlier, I don't like the look of food on overly decorated dishes, so plain it was for me. Then you can in my mind go for a more fancy flat wear and also liven up the table cloth. I hate clashing things. My china is white with silver rim and white lace on edge. Works well with whatever tablecloth I chose --which ever season. Many years ago after husbands grandmother died and they cleared out her house I discovered in a box in our basement her china, it was white with silver rim and tiny pink flowers on the rim, to me it plays well with mine so it is now mixed in. My original china I bought when I was about 22 years old, so that is 40 years ago. The only thing nuts about china back then is the coffee/tea cups, so small, never used, just kept stacked up high in my cupboard.

Speaking of Wedgewood, I think there is a Wedgewood outlet near me, about 20 min drive. They sell seconds, so if you look through the pile and maybe the decoration has a paint drop, or line that is a tiny bit off it becomes a 2nd, and sold for 1/3 cost of new, perfect. I went there once with a friend who wanted some for herself, we stood there looking through piles trying to find near perfect stack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Over 50 years ago, my practice wife and I got an 8 piece set of Wedgwood Minaret design bone china as a wedding gift. (Modern plain white with a black sort of skyline silhouette pattern round the rim.) They were poor quality - the china, not the pattern - with a lot of blemishes. We complained and they sent us another set, except it didn't arrive. So they sent a yet another set. Still had blemishes - they made some excuse about "hand made"!! 6 months later the first one showed up! So we selected the best 12, took the rest back to the store they originally can from and said we got too many for wedding gifts (which was essentially true) and they gladly took them back plus a couple of pounds and swapped them for the serving dishes, gravy boats, etc. Pretty good deal. (I lived in the UK then.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OK, "Practice Wife" term meaning? @cntrlwagdnr . OK, looked it up. Humm. Interesting. What name is it when a women has "practice husbands".
Just happened to cruise back by this thread. I think practice husband is just as appropriate... unless he was some kind of a-hole, in which case that might be better better ;)

Ask a Question