Escallion

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Escallion is classified as a flower when I Google it but it is considered a herb/seasoning for us in Jamaica. We have large gardens as it is a top seller in our markets as well as to large companies such as Grace Kennedy and Walkers Wood. They use it to season all types of meats and or pots. The scent is high and can burn your nose and eyes as much as onions but I just love the taste of it on my food. Everyone loves a Jamaican Jerk! Well the secret is escallion and thyme!

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 665
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
What you want to google is scallion. I think it is classified as a vegetable in the more northern regions, related to onions. It grows just about everywhere. I love scallions and put them in just about everything except oatmeal. They are wonderful raw in salads. Scallions and thyme, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Do you grow Jamaican Scorpion chilies?

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
No I don't know what those are. Maybe I know it as a different name. We call it scallion in Jamaica but was taught that the correct name is escallion. My bad is I was mislead;) Anyway, thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
You don't know what Jamaican Scorpion is?:eek: Maybe that is because it is really Trinidad Scorpion:LOL: I thought that didn't sound quite right:rolleyes: The Trinidad Scorpion is the hottest chili pepper in the world. It is being tested by some armies for use in warfare.

Your photo is of what is called "scallion" or green onions or spring onions up north. Around the world it will be known by any number of names and so you are not necessarily incorrect by calling it an escallion because that may be the correct name in Jamaica, so you were not necessarily mislead or incorrect. It is only that most of the google information seems to be under scallion. Actually, I just did google "escallion" and that is the correct name in Jamaica. It is similar to "green onions", or "spring onions" that are grown up north, but Jamaicans believe the "escallions" are much more flavorful. So not your "bad" at all and now we both learned something:)

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Well, thanks Beverly. We have both learned. I only know scorpion/forty legs as an insect that stings and as the name suggests it has a lot of legs! You can post a photo then I might have an idea of what you are making reference to. Thanks
You don't know what Jamaican Scorpion is?:eek: Maybe that is because it is really Trinidad Scorpion:LOL: I thought that didn't sound quite right:rolleyes: The Trinidad Scorpion is the hottest chili pepper in the world. It is being tested by some armies for use in warfare.

Your photo is of what is called "scallion" or green onions or spring onions up north. Around the world it will be known by any number of names and so you are not necessarily incorrect by calling it an escallion because that may be the correct name in Jamaica, so you were not necessarily mislead or incorrect. It is only that most of the google information seems to be under scallion. Actually, I just did google "escallion" and that is the correct name in Jamaica. It is similar to "green onions", or "spring onions" that are grown up north, but Jamaicans believe the "escallions" are much more flavorful. So not your "bad" at all and now we both learned something:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Okay, here is a site where you can see the world's 10 hottest peppers. Scroll down to the 2nd one, evidently it is only the second hottest pepper in the world now, and you will find the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion chili pepper. They named it Scorpion because it has such a nasty bite.

https://www.crazyhotseeds.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

You have scorpions with 40 legs there? Wow, that's interesting. How is the sting? mild, miserable, or deadly?

Ask a Question